Alternatives

pooladdict

TFP Guide
In The Industry
May 14, 2007
New Brunswick Canada
Good morning all.

Well, I switched from Bromine *Sodium Bromide*(Found it was very expensive, didn't like the smell and was worried about the resulting gases on health) to Chlorine with salt added for the SWG that came with the unit. I have now developed an allergy to the Chlorine. Rash and itching are the result and when I stay out of the Spa, all my skin issues clear up. No one else in the family has developed any issues. Chlorine readings are always kept between 3-5, PH 7.6, TA 90, CYA 50. I am quite puzzled why this happened to me, but my doctor and I suspect its my long battle with Exzema that must be helping it along.

So, long story short. I am looking at either going back to Bromine or finding some other sanitizer that is softer on my skin.

I am currently looking at Spa Frog but am curious if any other members have tried different products and are they happy with the results.

Thanks all.

Rik

Your choices are basically chlorine or bromine and since you didn't have problems with the bromine, you may be stuck with that, even though it's smelly. Overall though, I would suspect that this has more to do with eczema and water temperature and less to do with the chemicals in the water.

There is also Baquacil/PHMB/biguanide. Though there can be problems with it and it is expensive, at least with a spa you are able to change the water more easily which is one way to combat white water mold (through decontamination when doing a water change).

However, I suspect that its more likely to be the heat than the chlorine that is causing your flare-ups. How long did you use chlorine before you started noticing symptoms? Of course, you'll find out what's really going on when you switch to a different sanitizer. If the problem persists, then its the heat; if not, then it is in fact the chlorine.

It started two weeks after the changeover, I had no issues when we were using Bromide/Bromine. I am thinking I might change over to those, but my PB is telling me they have a new product coming in, which only needs shocking with Chlorine once a week. The Bromine was ok, but I found it tedious and expensive tossing in Spa Tabs every single nite to activate the bromine.

When using chlorine, a cyanuric acid level of 50 ppm is a bit high. 20 to 30 ppm is a better range for the CYA.

What test kit are you using? Are you using FAS-DPD and testing free and combined chlorine?

When using bromine, the tabs add 5-5 dimethylhydantoin, which lowers the effectiveness of the bromine in a similar way to what cyanuric acid does with chlorine. Instead of using bromine tabs, you could add the sodium bromide, and then just add liquid chlorine, or bleach, to activate the bromide into bromine. That way, you eliminate the dimethylhydantoin.

Alternatively, you could add some sodium bromide to the tub while using the salt system. The salt system will make chlorine, which will then activate the bromide into bromine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.