converting mesh template to safety cover ?

Jun 20, 2011
Our PB insisted we have a template made to layout our freeform pool, preconstruction. Said it would be around $150. We were surprised when it came in at over $500 , made of what looks like a heavy mesh cover with heavy bound edges. PB reassured us at close time we could have extra fabric and straps attached to this and thus convert it to a safety cover. Now the manufacturer ( Latham) says no way. So that was a waste of $500.
They want $3500+ for a mesh cover, plus installation from PB. We want to shop around. How do we measure for a safety cover? Asymmetrical "dog bone" shaped vinyl liner pool. 49' long x 32' - 19'- 24' widths plus steps and swimouts. I hate to trash the nice mesh "template" that was only used to layout pool placement pre-construction and then put away 2 days later.

Due to the large size a mesh cover has been recommended.

Thanks for insights.
Wentzville, Missouri

Pools are measured using an AB method, sort of a triangulation. This makes an outline of a pool and a mirror image when plotted out. The manufacturer is told which to use.

Yours is a big pool. I agree that a mesh cover is your best bet. I am not a big fan of Performance (Lathem's cover division) but it's better than Anchor brand. Safety covers are not all the same. The better brands, IMO are Loop Loc, Merlin, and Meyco. While they cost a little more, they will outlast most others. As important as the manufacturer is the installer, typically the same person that does the AB.

Scott

PB just sent me these. Are these my ABs and do I just send them off for quotes?

( files too big to attach) last 2 files had whole list of coordinates. So I assume this it it.

The template we bought looks like Latham's heavy mesh cover material.It has the heavy binding like a cover but no straps. It is the exact dimension of our pool. I hate to trash it. No chance to re-purpose this guy?

Thanks

Attachments

• 11LF-4389-2.pdf
    152 KB · Views: 5
  • 11LF-4389-1 (2).pdf
    316.7 KB · Views: 7
Our PB is a small local business, less than 5 pools a year, he charges us what he is charged on items, gives us copies of the receipts or we pay subcontractors direct. He charges us a flat labor cost as our general contractor. I have photos of our pool under "new pool in time for fall " in new construction thread. He would not have absorbed the cost of the template, but highly recommended we get one, expecting it would cost less than $200 from SCP. Ordered without verifying price. (foolish)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.