Lime Scale

Jul 25, 2010
Going to attempt the muriatic acid in a spray bottle approach to this problem. I have a few questions:

1. Its a 5 water to 1 acid mix?

2. What does it do to the grout?

3. I intend to be in the pool when I do this as I can't see that sort of dilution causing any problems. ie: Will not be worrying about the family jewels being exposed.

Any other tips?

Thanks

5:1 is probably too weak. You can try it but, unless it foams up when it contacts the scale, you'll need to make it stronger. 3:1 works pretty well for me.

It will attack the grout but not as aggressively as the scale. Avoid getting it on the grout (yeah, that's impossible, I know). Just apply it carefully and any that gets on the grout simply dilute immediately with pool water.

Wear rubber gloves. Be sure to use a brush that is made to handle acid.

I used the strength that Dave suggested. Maybe I need to leave it on the tiles longer? I was a bit worried about the grout getting dissolved. Also, I had a kitchen scrub pad to work it in with, maybe I need a strong brush?

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.