Using a secondary cover?

Jun 14, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
The past two years I've used my Loop-Loc II mesh cover. It does a great job keeping the sunlight out, but some winters we get a lot of snow, or rain.
I find myself draining the pool water and adding chlorine during these months.

I'm looking at purchasing one of the cheaper tarp type covers to put down before covering with the Mesh safety cover.

Is anyone aware of any problems this might cause or something i may be over looking?
Or do you think it would work pretty well?

I didn't think of that but you're right. I was thnking that the tarp would hold water and sag under the mesh and you'd have the same problem you have now with pverflowing the pool. Unless you could figure a way to keep the tarp pumped off.

Please don't do this. I've walked in on something like this twice. It just makes a big mess.

Putting the tarp over the mesh cover can damage the mesh cover. Remember it's not designed to hold water; you can get around this with an auto-pump but it's not advisable. (even solid safety covers have pumps to remove standing water)

Putting the tarp under the mesh cover just makes it really hard to get the tarp off without spilling all it's nasty contents into the pool. Basically once you take the safety cover off there is nothing holding the tarp in place. Once again you can get around this with an auto pump but not recommended.

You can purchase a Rule Auto pump and place it on your pool steps(if you have them) to keep the water level constant no matter how much rain you get. If you are truly worried about the pool turning green from lack of chlorine then I would try once of those black solar cover things. I forget what they are called but basically they are a black solar cover that floats under your safety cover blocking out basically all sunlight which inhibits algae growth. Also I use Algaecide 60% on safety cover pools with pretty good luck in helping the pool be not as green when opening.

I opened this past season to a partly cloudy pool due to me maintaining the chlorine. I was just hoping there was an easier way. I have a pump but since we get below freezing temps here quite often, I'd be concerned of leaving it out if there were excess water in it.

Thanks for the feedback, it was just something I was thinking about, wasn't a definite.

The Rule pump has freeze protection. The instructions say you can leave it out all season even in freezing weather, but it does say that the parts will wear quicker too. I really think the problem is sunlight. Ever since I started pushing ultra-loc's(with drain panels) over the standard loop loc the pools open crystal clear with only a gray dust on the pool floor where the panels are. I'm not going to expect you to change your safety cover for this reason only. That's why I mentioned that under cover thing.( I really wish I could remember what they are called). Also when it does come time to replace your safety cover they do sell the ultra-loc with out drain panels and it comes with an auto pump; so you won't have any dilution.

The past two years I've used my Loop-Loc II mesh cover. It does a great job keeping the sunlight out, but some winters we get a lot of snow, or rain.
I find myself draining the pool water and adding chlorine during these months.

I'm looking at purchasing one of the cheaper tarp type covers to put down before covering with the Mesh safety cover.

Is anyone aware of any problems this might cause or something i may be over looking?
Or do you think it would work pretty well?

====

We have an older all mesh loop loc (no drain panel) and all the green threads have worn off which allows more sunlight into the pool and creates a greener swamp in the spring more than it did when the green threads were intact. We drop the water way down but with rain and snow the chemicals dilute so we always mid winter treat with more winter shock and algaecide . We thought about putting a tarp cover under the loop loc to catch 'yuck' and prevent algae from sunlight but figured it would sink and create a real mess. A few years ago I bought what they call a ' safety cover mate' which is like thick black bubble wrap and it was less than $100 at the time for our 16x37 free form shape pool BUT it has caught on in the industry and is more $$$ now but is well worth it in my opinion. Google safety cover mate to see options. We put in on the water prior to installing the loop loc and its amazing the difference when we open the pool. It catches most of the 'yuck' from the road and so forth. Since its a rectangle it fits a little oddly on the free form shape but we sure didn't trim it to fit and it works just fine the way it is.

Rain rolls off the cover mate and goes into the pool and its easy to remove it from a full pool as it almost floats off and its not heavy anyway. It has been almost a miracle 'cure' . We just put it out in the yard and spray it off but aren't anal about how clean it gets and just fold it up and store it with the loop loc. Problem solved

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.