Best of both Worlds (Gas/Heat Pump)

thadius65

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
Bloomsburg, PA
Anyone have both heaters plumbed? I may have a lead on a one year old hayward h300 to go along with my new Summit 8TA. Thinking may be able to get extended season AND more efficient throught the summer.

Any pictures of both plumbed would be great!

Thanks,

Ted

Looks like this is the direction I will be going in. Summit 8TA and a never used, Pentair Mastertemp 300 gas heater. Now I have to upgrade my automation from Hayward PL-Plus (aqua logic) to the PL-PS-4 (pro logic) to support two heaters. Probably a $200-$300 cost difference.

I simply couldn't pass up the Mastertemp 300 at $600.

I ended up stumbling on a better deal. My dual solution is Summit 8TA and I found a new Mastertemp 400HD (NG) on ebay for a steal, still in crate @ $1,000.

I upgraded my automation to a Hayward Prologic PL-PS-8 for future growth. Now what I would like to do is automate the selection of the appropriate heater at the right time. Can my automation be setup to have any heat call when outside temp is below 70F come from gas heater and anything above 70F come from heat pump?

I just found this in the manual. I think this gives me most of what I was looking for with the exception of the air temp setting. Anyone know if that can be set to a higher value?

Heater2 is Heatpump
This menu appears in the Heater2 configuration menu if Heater2 is enabled. If set to “Yes”, Heater2
will only be allowed to be on if the Air Temperature is > 50°F. Also, two new menus, Spa Heater2
Priority and Pool Heater2 Priority, will appear in the Settings Menu. Refer to the Settings Menu for
more information on these new menus.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.