Worth adapting Intex CS8111 SWG to a non-Intex Sand filter?

filb

Aug 23, 2011
I'd like to get a sand filter setup, but since I don't care much for Intex since I often notice they're out of stock on parts and it seems they use non-industry standard fittings/hoses, I'd like to get one that is standard. Seems like Hayward is a commonly mentioned standard pump. If I got one, does anyone know how I'd adapt it to my CS8111 SWG platform (which has pump,filter,SWG all built in) ? Or is it not worth the headache? Just trying to salvage the salt cell part (and pump) of my platform, although I don't even know if my pump is powerful enough to "push" thru sand? I suppose the filter housing could be left empty (no paper cartridge), and from there the water output passing thru the cell as normal, and from there out to the sand filter, and from there to the pool intake?

Anyone ever do this?

I hate the cells on the Intex though as they're spaced what seems like 1/16" apart, and they quickly clog with minerals, requiring frequent soaking in acid to clear them. Or are the metal plates of all cell brands this close together? (maybe for whatever chemical reaction they need to effect?). Even if they weren't closely spaced, I know minerals would build up, but being so closely spaced I think it's much easier for the minerals to bridge the gap on the top & bottom of the plates...

Re: Worth it to adapt CS8111 SWG to any non-Intex Sand filte

I don't think that pump would support a sand filter and adapting it sounds like a nightmare. Intex makes a nice sand filter. Can be found on eBay for about $170 with shipping. You might be able to run your platform after a sandfilter and utilize the SWCG.

Why does your SWCG get so dirty? What's your chemisty like? My fill water has a calcium level of 30ppm so I am lucky there. I have ran my SWCG for months and see no build up.

Re: Worth it to adapt CS8111 SWG to any non-Intex Sand filte

I just bought a GAME 1/2hp sand filter & pump for my 12'x36" intex pool and it works great...it comes with standard and intex sized adapter so no problems there...if you're a purist though go with an Intex sand filter....If you want to standardize go with Hayward....I chose GAME because it was the first 1/2hp one I came across that says it was made for pool my size and It had good reviews....I didn't even realize Intex made sand filters until a bit later..

Re: Worth adapting Intex CS8111 SWG to a non-Intex Sand filt

Ideally I guess a pump brand most pool stores could repair. Is "Game" one of those? I guess I'd want the minimum decent quality pump that's the least expensive for that class, as well as in repair costs ;-) Or even that's not difficult for an amateur to be able to repair, if websites sell the parts and such things are not that difficult)

Does the Intex sand pump still use the nonstandard fittings/hoses?

Re: Worth adapting Intex CS8111 SWG to a non-Intex Sand filt

Your pool store would sell Hayward parts, and probably also provide repair services. Intex sells their parts on their Intex Store website, plus a number of third party sites sell Intex parts to repair your pump....GAME parts are available through the game-group.com website. Hayward would be the most expensive and you would have to hack your Intex liner to put on the proper fittings, or just fool with adapters.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.