Process to online a new automated pool?

MattM

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2011
San Diego, CA
We're in the process of pool building, and expect to bring it online roughly on Nov 1st.

My builder has told me we'll need to keep the salt system offline for the first few weeks.
I've also heard that we may need to keep the heater(s) off initially.
The pool also has an auto muriatic acid ph reduction system (intellichem).
Heating is a combination of solar and heat pump.

From what I can tell, the startup process will mostly involve:

First day or two: fill up water, turn on pump, add DE to pool for filter, check for any leaks
Next few days: take water tests, and focus mostly on getting ph to 7.5-7.8 ideal level
Then: Focus on TA, Calcium, and other key parameters..don't let ph stray too far while doing so
Afterwards: Add salt and probably borates, more testing for a few days
During the above, the pump should be running quite a bit but none of the other automation
When chemistry seems stable, activate the intellichlor first and a day or two later the intellichem
Wait another few days and then activate the heating systems, put all system onto their long term in-season automated schedule
Monitor water temp, pressure, and all other general tests/etc on a daily basis for at least the first 30 days

The plaster surface is pebble sheen blue granite.

I'm not sure how long this all process is supposed to take, and roughly how many days after start that we should expect the pool to be safe to swim...

Also, we have an automatic safety cover, which I assume we'll avoid using until ph is in balance since we don't want it to come into contact with any water that might be too acidic/etc ...so perhaps that goes into use after the first 10-14 days.

Anything I'm missing? Any additional pump/filter maintenance in the first few weeks, should I plan to do a complete cleaning of the filter after the first 30 days?

That looks like a pretty good list. It's gonna take longer than you think but that's not bad.

You'll need to brush every day well.

You can swim as soon as you start adding chlorine (about 3 days) and your pH is in range, or when your PB says you can.

You'll need to wait 30 days before adding the salt.

Bama -- I don't understand the reference to 30 days before adding salt? I understanding waiting for pool chemistry to stabilize which might take at least two weeks, plus avoiding activating or changing too many things in the same week, but what is the reasoning for waiting 4+ weeks before adding salt to pool...and I assume a few days after that before turning on salt system?

You don't normally want to adjust the TA or CH levels for three weeks after the application of plaster. Both will be going up from the curing process. Raising either too early will result in them being too high by the end of the first month.

The National Plasterers Council recommends not to add salt for the first 30 days. Supposedly it runs some risk of damaging the plaster while it is curing. You can turn on the SWG 24 hours after adding salt.

During the first three or four weeks you will probably be lowering the PH daily. Curing plaster raises PH very quickly.

What Jason said. :)

Wouldn't you rather manually dose the first 30 days than to take even a remote chance of damaging that sparkling new pebble surface the first month into having it? That's how I look at it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.