Here is what I learned this season (Edited for cost this yr)

thepiratemorgan

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2010
Central NY
Closed the ABG pool today :( It was a decent season, not as good as our first back in 2007 , but better than some. Here is what I learned from troublefreepool.com this season:

1) Patience - Don't rush to adjust your pH, TA, CH, or CYA ... take you're time. Half dose the pool first, then test, then add the rest (if needed of course). About the only thing you want to jump on is low FC or CC >0.5ppm

2) Accuracy - Double check the numbers you input into http://www.poolcalculator.com
I put in DOUBLE the amount of Borax because of a typo that I missed :oops: Where's the MA ???

3) Community - Because I have learned so much, and was helped so often here, I feel the need to check back to see if I can help someone in need. I like to read all the success stories here, and love to see when we can help someone turn around their lost pool!! I was there once, never again!!!

4) Trust - trust your gut instincts if all you added using Tri-chlor pucks to your CYA was about 4ppm CYA (according to http://www.poolcalculator.com) and yet the CYA test said otherwise. After over a week of scratching my head the CYA tested to be what is was supposed to be (see patience).

Thanks to each and all for your help. It was a great and sparklypoolitis :cool: season and I promise to check back here from time to time to see if I can help any of our brothers and sister to the south!!

Re: Here is what I learned this season

Very nice post, Pirate,

Each year will get better and better for you because you TRULY understand your pool and know how to manage it now. Your insights are well written and thoughtful.

Most of the "hardcore" hangs around here all winter. It's not as busy but we always come across something interesting.

See ya' around :goodjob:

Re: Here is what I learned this season (Edited for cost this

thepiratemorgan said:
I kept track of, and calculated, what it cost me this season in regards to chemicals:

$52 :party:
I spend that much on acid alone!!

'course I have really hard water. And I maintain the pool year-round since it shares the water with the spa, and we do fire that up once in a while even when the pool is too cold to swim in.

Did include the extra Borax in those calculations, or did we get the sanitized version? :mrgreen:

Re: Here is what I learned this season (Edited for cost this

Richard320 said:
Did include the extra Borax in those calculations, or did we get the sanitized version? :mrgreen:

BUSTED !!!! :oops:
I wondered if someone was going to catch on to that ... this was the sanitized version, did not include the screw up!!
I couldn't get that one by ya!!! :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.