Interpreting the numbers

Aug 29, 2011
Reidsville, NC
I posted before about fighting an algae issue but did not have a test kit to get my CYA. I have the kit now and have been working on my pool for about a week now. The water is considerably clearer now but still has a green tint to it. Here are my current numbers.
CYA 70
FC 13
CC 7.5
PH 7.2
TA 90

From what I have read, it seems like these numbers are within the ranges of being good except for CC which should be 0?). Can someone offer advise on the green tint. I am trying to get it cleared up before closing it for the season. Appreciate any input anyone can offer.

Thanks

Re: Interpreting the numers

Shock level is 20 with cya of 70. Bump it up over 20 and keep it there till it clears up. Have you done an OCLT? If not you can do one to see how close you are getting.

Re: Interpreting the numers

One of the criteria for finishing the shock process is to have crystal clear water. Since you do not, getting your shock level back up to around 20 or even 24 will be the most important thing you do. I would rather see the OCLT used as proof positive that you have killed all the organics and a green pool already indicates you have not.

A CYA of 70 is a little too high for a manually chlorinated pool but you can live with it for the rest of this season. Lower it to 50 next year.

My pool is in sunshine pretty much the whole day so I thought a higher CYA was a good thing based on what I have read. Should it be lower when preparing to close the pool? It will be covered so there will be no direct sunlight on the water (solar blanket and pool tarp).

Thanks,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.