What's your water temp?

72* ish, and since the next couple of days will be mid to high 80's, with nights at ~65*, hopefully we can creep up to the high 70's soon enough. next week we will be hitting a cold stretch of mid 70's with nights dipping into the low 50's...

We finally got some warm weather (yesterday was in the high 80's air temp) and the solar heated the pool from the low 70's up to 80 over the past few days. So I fired up the gas last night and got it to 88 today (my wife uses the pool as a therapy pool mostly for in-place exercises plus some swimming) and we went in swimming for the first time. Yeah!!! It was SOOOO nice to get back into the water. Unfortunately, the weather will be cooling for a bit, but by the end of April we should be in full-swing to the swimming season.

My CYA was low so I bought some Dichlor and will use it as my chlorine source until the CYA gets to 30 ppm or so. The claim that Dichlor dissolves quickly isn't exactly accurate. When in granular form (tiny beads as opposed to powder) even pouring over a return flow still results in some beads settling on the bottom. I had to use a brush to mix them up. Maybe this depends on the brand -- I'm not sure why they just don't crush it into powder (maybe to prevent windy conditions from blowing it away from the pool?).

Richard

chem geek said:
We finally got some warm weather (yesterday was in the high 80's air temp) and the solar heated the pool from the low 70's up to 80 over the past few days. So I fired up the gas last night and got it to 88 today (my wife uses the pool as a therapy pool mostly for in-place exercises plus some swimming) and we went in swimming for the first time. Yeah!!! It was SOOOO nice to get back into the water. Unfortunately, the weather will be cooling for a bit, but by the end of April we should be in full-swing to the swimming season.

My CYA was low so I bought some Dichlor and will use it as my chlorine source until the CYA gets to 30 ppm or so. The claim that Dichlor dissolves quickly isn't exactly accurate. When in granular form (tiny beads as opposed to powder) even pouring over a return flow still results in some beads settling on the bottom. I had to use a brush to mix them up. Maybe this depends on the brand -- I'm not sure why they just don't crush it into powder (maybe to prevent windy conditions from blowing it away from the pool?).

Richard

I thought I kept my pool warm. :wink: I think we are having the same heat wave down here in LA, it was in the high 80's yesterday, supposed to hit 90 today. I fired up the heater Friday, and the pool is around 85 right now, daughter and a couple of friends are swimming. In a month or so, I won't need the heater anymore.

Randy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
78 here, first swim was aprial 12th at a toastly 68, but it felt good on our freak 90 degree day. we dont usually get to 90 air temp before june.

but i have found that closing late and opening early gave me two great things, a clear pool when we opened, and a quicker warm up period.

we are in Ohio and we have had acouple warm days 70's and our water is a nice warm 82....
I LOVE our new heat pump!!! :-D
I ended up getting it from one of the dealers listed on TFP (awesome service)

all the neighbors thought we were crazy, when they heard the kids playing in the pool :)
the neighbor told my husband, that most people around here open their pools on or after Memorial Day :eek:

we have to get our swimming in now....we have decided to have the pool renovated in June (sand blasted, new plaster, tile, skimmer line, the works) it will probably be down for about 10 days :cry:

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.