Chlorine Pucks

Sep 13, 2011
Omaha, NE
If CYA is such a huge problem by using these, why do they not make a puck without the stabilizer? Is this even possible? I liked my puck dispenser since I could set and ignore, but now after being on this site, it is a nice paper weight.

No, they don't make tablets without stabilizer. Chlorine is too unstable in its elemental form to remain a usuable solid for pool care purposes.

Almost makes we wonder if the tabs could be combined with salt to make them stable for use. It would be nice to be able to rotate like 3 different tabs----one with calcium, one with cya, and one with salt to be able to keep using them and balance your levels as needed. I guess that being combined with something totally inert is out of the question. Almost makes we wonder if the chemical companies do this on purpose to keep you buying even more chemicals to "fix" your problems. That wouldn't exactly be a first, now would it?

woodyp said:
Almost makes we wonder if the chemical companies do this on purpose to keep you buying even more chemicals to "fix" your problems. That wouldn't exactly be a first, now would it?

I am sure that is exactly what they are doing. But, I am sure the more people that find out about the BBB method, they will be a dying breed.

This topic was recently discussed in another thread where I responded in this post.

There are Cal-Hypo pucks available, but they require special feeders since they dissolve more quickly and they have binders in them which leave an extra residue and the pucks tend to fall apart when they get smaller.

All chlorine sources will increase the salt level in the pool since the usage/consumption of chlorine results in salt (chloride). For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added from ANY chlorine source, the salt level will increase by 8 ppm. For chlorinating liquid, bleach, and lithium hypochlorite, an extra 8 ppm salt is added upon addition.

For automation of chlorine delivery, there is The Liquidator, peristaltic pumps, and of course saltwater chlorine generators.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.