Very Interesting Member Issue

Jan 24, 2008
Hey guys… don't know if this is the place to post this, but I'm looking for some more help.

A member here is having issues with face rashes when he is using our pool. Normal, but here is the kicker. He only has this problem when he is swimming in our first lane near the wall. He describes it was "athlete foot-like" and that it goes away when he puts athlete’s foot cream on it. He wears a mask and snorkel, I had him wash it thoroughly with alcohol and he said the problem still occurred. To my knowledge this is an isolated case. I don't think athlete’s foot stands a chance against chlorine, or does it? There aren't any surfaces that are coming in contact with his face that would have this on it, except for the water and his mask. Pretty sure he isn't rubbing his face on the deck. I thought maybe it was a CL allergy, but that doesn't make sense with it being only his face and ONLY when he swims in the first lane. My chems are normal, CL isn't too high, and I haven't used any harsh chemicals on the gutters or deck. Man this is weird. Any thoughts?

That is a strange one. One possibility is that the circulation pattern is bad and the water over there is comparatively stagnant. You could check that fairly easily by doing a couple of FC tests with water from various places in the pool. Another thought, is that there a return in that area that has a property that isn't true elsewhere, for example the return with the chlorine injector? Perhaps he is swimming through a return jet with a higher concentration of chlorine than the rest of the pool. Again a couple of FC tests would show it, but more care would need to be taken to select the correct spots to test.

I definatly thought of the return issue. The main return is on that side of the pool. I'm testing like a hawk, nothing conclusive yet.

The rash is on the outside of his goggles on his face and neck. He doesnt get the rash on the inside. He keeps trying to tell me is is athletes foot. I'm trying to politely tell him he is full of it.

Is the guy taking any perscription meds? There are numerous medications which may superfically seem to be unrelated, such as some antibiotics, but which can cause hypersensitvity to Cl.

If it were a drug interaction with the water chemistry, wouldn't the rash be all over his body, a systemic reaction?

I just read an interesting paragraph while researching rosacea (adult acne) and chlorine. Here's a part of it:

" The most ideal exercise is swimming in a properly treated indoor chlorinated pool (bromide treated pools are too harsh on the skin). Chlorine kills fungi, bacteria, viruses, and parasites that can worsen rosacea as well as acne and seborrheic dermatitis. The swimming pool water is usually 75 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit, which is well below normal body temperature of 98.6 degrees. Thus, it cools the entire body, including the rosacea affected areas, while providing excellent exercise to reduce mental stress and physical tension. "

[Source: http://www.internationalrosaceafoundati ... tions.php4]

Interestingly, they state that properly sanitized water kills fungi which would throw doubt on his allegations of athlete's foot. The pool water is testing out okay. Maybe this rash has nothing at all to do with Lane 1 and, instead, is a life style issue entirely apart from the pool.

I suggest you have a pool party. Invite one thousand guests. Have everyone swim in the affected lane. If you get only one person with a negative reaction, the problem lies with the individual, not the pool.

Or you could have your friend swim in one thousand pools with varying chemistry. If he continues to experience a rash, he needs to get out of the pool and take up golf.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have him try WITHOUT the mask and see what happens.. I bet it's the rubber or dyes in the mask... Oh and if the mask is too tight (usually the case as you're trying to create a SEAL right?) then it could be crushing dozens of blood vessels beneath the surface of the skin. It will heal, but may look like a rash and get all puffy and red for a while.

I bet it's the rubber or dyes in the mask... Oh and if the mask is too tight (usually the case as you're trying to create a SEAL right?) then it could be crushing dozens of blood vessels
But that does not explain why it does not happen if he is not by the wall.

My guess would be that his mask is getting fogged up and he keeps swimming into the ladder.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.