Taking heater and pumps offline for the winter? Advice??

Sep 17, 2011
Hello-- I just wanted to bounce this around. I have a 6 yo IG 22k gunnite pool w connnected spa in NJ, equipped with a 60 sqft Hayward DE Filter, Laars/Jandy NG heater, and all the necessary pumps. Pool is about 6 years old, and, some of the pumping connections are having slow leaks, as does is the Heater at the gaskets -- .. I have already replaced a rusted blower fan, and-- I need to replace the baffles and header gaskets anyway.. as well as a lot of rust--

Strongly considering shifting to a Salt water generator in the spring.

For the winter, I was thinking of pulling in the heater to teh garage to rebuild: remove rust, weld new metal on the cumbustion chamber etc. -- trying to avoid $$$$$$. I took the heater apart to replace the blower, and, it doesnt look too difficult. It's probly a good time to pressure wash the algae ridden concrete pad as well. So, thinking of pulling the pumps too, replacing and/or tightening the connections in the spring..

I know its not a small job-- I but, does not seem out of my abilities, either, will grab a "pool expert" for the plumbing probalby anyway when i reopen.

Any thoughts -- recommendations either way?

sounds good to me. when taking stuff apart just take pictures for reference when putting it all back together. Also whenever I come across a connection that is metal to metal in the heater I either use a little Teflon tape or some jacks lube to act as a layer between the joints

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.