Self Inflicted Wound...

Jun 27, 2011
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hey folks, thanks for all the help on picking a salt water system. Not very often do you find something that works "as advertised". Its awesome..

Here's the self inflicted wound. I noticed that the skimmer line was pulling very little water to the pump. Some, but not a lot. Started jacking with it and ran a piece of wire down the basket to see if i could feel an obstruction. NOW, no water flowing through the skimmer at all. Would someone be willing to give me some options? I'm not sure what to do now except pour Drano down it. And that can't be good. Thx, SR

DO NOT USE DRAINO! Do you draw water into the pump from a main drain or a second skimmer? You may need to adjust some of the valves to pull more from the skimmer. If that is not the problem, check the pump strainer basket and make sure it is empty, then check the impeller for debris. You can also run a water hose from the pump strainer basket into the skimmer line and try to wash whatever the obstruction may be back into the pool. You may need a drain king to form a seal to get enough pressure to force out the obstruction.

Thanks, I adjusted the valves and have a completely clogged skimmer line. Just not sure of how to push the obstruction thru the skimmer line and back out the skimmer. Or would you try to push it into the pump basket?

1. Either purchase a drain king from the hardware store or wrap a rag around the end of the hose and duct tape it to the hose. (a drain king will form a better seal).
2. Turn off the pump. Take the lid off of the pump strainer pot and remove the basket.
3. Insert the end of the hose into the pump strainer pot and thread it into the pool plumbing toward the skimmer. (make sure the skimmer valve is open)
4. Turn on the water and let it run a few minutes. That should flush out the obstruction into the pool.

Don't try to flush the debris into the pump strainer, you could damage the impeller.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.