Winter Closing Question

Sep 13, 2011
Omaha, NE
I have read a few of the post and still am not quite sure on the right answer. The 60 degrees number..... Does that mean do not cover until the water temp remains below 60 degess or the outside air temp remains below 60 degrees?

Also, after reading and reading and reading on this forum, I am going to be going with the BBB method. I want to lower my CYA level so I don't have to chlorinate so high ( I had been use pucks). Will the levels drop automatically over the winter months? I will be draining some water below the skimmer and such for winterizing, so I know that will lower the levels some when I refill in the spring.

and, so you know what I am working with and numbers:

16X24 oval AGP, Doughboy

FCL: 8.12
TCL: 8.44
pH: 7.5
TA: 153
CH: 200 (since I have vinyl, I assume this number is not critical for me?)
CYA: 116

Using the ColorQ digital tester

Welcome to TFP!
60 degrees refers to the water temperature. If you follow the closing directions on this site, you should have no trouble opening to a clean pool, regardless of your CYA level. It will go down a bit by spring since you are lowering the water level, but likely not really low enough. I wouldn't make any attempt to lower that level now though; just wait and see where you are come spring.

another question I forgot to ask:

I live in Nebraska, cold, harsh winters. Remains below freezing from Dec - Mar. Can I leave my sand filter outside after removing the multiport valve, drain the water from filter and the cover with a tarp? or, will I need to empty all the sand and bring it inside as well? :party:

We leave the multi port on and simply leave the filter drain plug off.

I know it is recommended to wait to cover until water temp is below 60 - that is so that algae doesn't grow. We always cover before it is 60 and although we do have some algae growth it isn't hard to kill in the spring as long as all the debris (leaves, sticks, etc) was removed before covering.

We also leave the filter outside with multiport on (drain plug off - multiport set to 'winter' which is basically a setting between settings so handle stays elevated). I cover it with a tarp (but it is under our deck anyway). I do bring the pump, salt cell, solar valving inside. Drain the pool only a little below the skimmer, plug the skimmer faceplate and return, put on the mesh cover, and by spring it has refilled and ready to open.

I turn mine over on their side and leave them in the pool. Make sure there are no sharp points or edges and they won't hurt anything leaving them in there. I take the weights out and store them separately.

Mine are inserts that are molded to fit the steps, and while I could leave them in the pool, if I did, I'd have to fish them off the bottom next spring and they are about 4" thick and weigh about 75# each. It's a convenience thing. It's easier to pick them up and set them in the deck box than to fish them out of 60º water at opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.