How often to drain a pool?

Of course if you have hard fill water like I do, eventually the CH will raise so high that it might be necessary to replace at least some of the water.

High CYA and high CH levels are the two reasons to do a lot of water replacement. If those problems never come up, there is no reason to ever change the water. If you do have problems with CYA and/or CH you have the choice between replacing water or getting a reverse osmosis treatment.

In any case, there is certainly no reason to replace water on a schedule. Only replace water if there is a specific reason why you need to do so.

mas985 said:
Of course if you have hard fill water like I do, eventually the CH will raise so high that it might be necessary to replace at least some of the water.

Just to add that continued use of stabilized chlorine will eventually raise CYA or CH levels too high as well. If you stick with liquid chlorine or a SWG as we would advise here, then yes an old wives tale unless, as mas985 pointed out, you have high CH (aka "Hard") fill water.

or, what Jason said

TXFlyGuy said:
Thanks for the info! We do have hard water here in our local supply, but my pool CH level is usually around 280.
Sounds like you CH is fine. Are you having any trouble with your pool chemistry...or just checking out this old wives tale? Let us know , we are here to help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.