Closing ABG with surrounding deck and bottom drain

Jul 27, 2011
NY
The temperature has been getting into the 30s here recently and the pool's water temp is down to about 62, so I'm done using it for the season. Combined with the fact it's still a little green from the hurricane, I'd like to close it for the season. The previous owners never covered it, and it took $600 and a ton of work to get it cleaned up for use this year. First, how to I cover it? There's a deck all the way around it flush with the edge of the pool. I don't see how I can cover it without cover the entire deck too.

Also, how to I winterize the main drain that comes out of the bottom/side of the pool? There's a plastic guard over it, then it comes out with 1 1/2" pipe (not sure what kind it is, a little soft, black colored), turns 90 degrees, and it intersects with the skimmer pipe just before the pump. The previous owners disconnected this pipe from the pump and tied it under the deck so the pool didn't drain. There was apparently no ill effects, but they also left the pump outside all winter, and left all the other piping unplugged, which I know isn't right. So how can I properly plug this line?

I'd suggest shocking before you close if it's "a little green." That algae will grow over the winter (albeit slowly) and you'll probably end up with a full-fledged swamp when you open. Far better/quicker/easier to kill it off now (while you're not wanting to swim anyway).

I am in the process of shocking/cleaning it right now, it's almost clear again. I just know it's getting close to closing time and want to leave enough time to find a cover.

I'm thinking I could install an in-ground cover and attach the supporting hardware right into the deck surface?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.