Main Drain Cover question

Apr 16, 2009
Pearland, Tx
I have a question on my main drain covers. I have two main drains that sit in the center on the floor of the pool that also happens to be the deepest part of the pool. I was thinking of replacing the covers to ones that are the anti-entrapment compliant cover. The main drain covers I have now are the Sta-Rite p/n 07017 with the grate cover. I assume these are anti-entrapment covers correct? Also from the attached parts schematic. They show two screws that mounts this cover in. However, there are no screws installed in my drain covers. The holes are empty but the covers are in pretty tight. Is it possible they are glued in or do these covers screw in as well? The covers I have look like the example on the left with the grates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• FAGA[1].jpg
    FAGA[1].jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 221
Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the reasons for two main drains is anti-entrapment. If one gets covered the flow will go to the other drain and release the covered drain. At least that's the logic I see behind two main drains.

The covers are supposed to be secured with screws. It is not unusual for them to be difficult to remove even when there are no screws. The covers should not be glued in. If the covers are damaged, they should be replaced.

It is common for the screw holes to be filled with concrete or other debris making them difficult to use. If you do want to replace the covers, the covers have to be compliant with the ANSI/ASME A112.19.8-2007 standard and the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act. I think that the replacement cover for your drain would be the 500108 8” StarGuard cover (white) (also available in black and gray).

Public pools are required to replace the main drain grates to the new compliant ones, residential pools are not required. I think that it's best to have the new covers. Pentair recommends replacement every 7 years.
Sometimes replacements go smoothly and sometimes it becomes a major project if the new cover does not fit or if the screw holes don't match up. Getting the old cover out will often mean damaging it, and then you have to replace it.

The frame for that cover probably does not have the brass inserts as specified in the installation manual for the new cover. The installation manual requires the replacement of the frame if the brass inserts are not in the frame. Is this a concrete pool?

Note: Entrapment can happen even with two main drains. The drains are not very big, and they can easily be blocked. All swimmers should be given instructions not to touch or block the drains. People with long hair should be instructed to avoid getting their hair near the drains. I would keep the skimmers on full and the main drains less than 1/2 open. Children should be supervised by an adult and all swimmers should be given safety instructions before being allowed to swim. The supervising adult should be familiar with safety procedures and emergency response procedures. One concern with that particular grate is that the holes are big enough for someone to get their finger stuck.

http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/pro ... in-402.htm

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/Drain-C ... arning.pdf

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.