Repair Flaking paint/coating on bottom of pool

I have an inground pool in south Florida, 15' x 30', 12,000 gal. There is an area on the bottom, about 1 foot in diameter where some coating is peeling up. If I pick off a piece, it appears to be a fiberglass layer, under which I see what looks like concrete. The remainder of the pool is in very good condition.

Is there a way to repair this small piece of missing coating on the bottom? I'm afraid to drain the pool, fearing the pool will float. We are near the ocean, and the water table seems to be about 2 feet down.

Recommendations, from do-it-yourself to hiring a repair contractor would be appreciated.

Hi, Greg. WElcome to the forum. Do you know if your pool is fibreglas or concrete? Actually, either way, I think you're gonna need a professional opinion....someone who can visit the pool and suggest a fix.

You can try a few pics but the usually aren't very definitive underwater.

Let us know aqbout the concrete/fibreglas and try a pic. Someone here may be able to help.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 6.18.40 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 6.18.40 PM.png
    191.7 KB · Views: 14
I wouldn't try fixing it yourself, have a pool builder come out and take a look at it. The pool can be drained temporarily for repairs. If it is a fiberglass pool, they can reglass the damaged area. I haven't heard of fiberglass being laid over concrete though, so if you really are seeing concrete you may have a gunite pool with delaminating plaster. That too can be repaired, but it may continue to happen in other areas of the pool. You shouldn't have any trouble with the pool raising out unless it's left dry for an extended period. Typically when they're doing repairs they just drain it long enough to make the repairs, then fill it again (1 or 2 days at the most). Good luck!

I disagree about draining. In areas with particularly high water tables draining the pool can cause immediate and very expensive damage. There is always a way to deal with it so the pool can be drained. Worst case, wells are dug around the pool and water pumped out to lower the water table. Many concrete/plaster pools in can survive draining because commonly the water table is reasonably low. However, unless you know that the water table is below the bottom of the pool, it is best to err on the side of caution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.