Closing a SWG pool with sunshelf and automatic safety cover.

SWpisces

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Hi! New to closing as this was our first year with a pool. Have read through many posts about closing but haven't found the answer to our question concerning a 10" sunshelf and closing a pool with an automatic safety cover.---We have been told not to drain any of our water with the automatic safety cover but we are not sure about any of the rest. Do we do the chemicals first, clean filters (cartridge), SWG cell, blow out lines and then just cover the pool up?
Can anyone guide us to how they do without draining any water?

Re: Closing a SWG pool with sunshelf and automatic safety co

FIrst, I don't recommend using the auto cover as a winter cover. It will shorten the cover life and possibly the track life, depending on where they are installed. The lack of "give" when a snow load sits on it can cause tearing. I do recommend using a safety cover that extends beyond the spool by at least 9".

If you have waterline tile, you must lower the water or risk tiles popping off or cracking. Any tiles on the floor of the sun shelf will be fine. Ice expands up and out, not down in a pool. If you have a liner pool and no waterline tile, you don't need to lower the water.

If your sun shelf has bubblers, they must be blown and plugged. They are too close to the surface and would be at risk from freezing.This may mean getting wet. Waders and a rain coat are helpful if the water is cold. The use of a deflector, such as a skimmer lid to direct the bubbling water away from you is often helpful.

Air is typically blown in the lines, either with a blower or a powerful shop vac, from the equipment pad out. I use an assortment of expandable rubber plugs to seal the lines I can reach. Bottom drains are typically air locked.

I strongly urge you hire a service. The money spent is nothing compared to the damage ice can cause to the lines and equipment.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.