New pump, filter and Swg install

bassboy56

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 9, 2011
Michigan
I have one 1.5" line from skimmer to pump and one 1.5" line back to pool which feeds 2 returns. I plan to replace 14 year old 3/4 hp pump, 36 sf DE filter and add an SWG. The new pump, filter and SWG are all 2" so I would like to plump everything on the equiment pad with 2" pvc. Will I be able to do this since I only have one 1.5" intake line?

Just an update to my prior post. After doing some more research I have determined that my current plumbing has about 40 feet of head.
I will be using a Pentair FNS Plus 36sf DE filter and have narrowed my choice of pump upgrade to either a 3/4 hp Pentair Superflo or a 1/2 hp Pentair Whisperflo(per the pump curves this may actually pumps more water). Besides the fact the Whisperflo can pump more water is there anything else that makes it a better pump? I know that I will be restricted on the amount of water that can be pumped by the 1.5" inlet and outlet pipe so what are the advantages/disvantages of plumbing the equiment with 2" pvc? If the Superflo pump is my better choice(and it comes with 1.5" connections) what effect if any will having 1.5" pvc to SWG( which is plumbed with 2")will there be besides the need to use bushings?
Thanks for everyones help....just want to make sure I do this right.

I advocate using 2" everywhere you can and bushing down only where you have to, but in your situation it won't make a lot of difference. You can go with 2' and go up or down when you need to or you can go 1½" and just increase at the swcg.

I did the same on mine. I have 1.5" copper lines going to the equipment pad, but just had new equipment put in. It all has 2" running between it and just reduces to 1.5" where it connects to the copper lines. My variable speed pump cavitates over 3000 rpm, but I normally run it much slower anyways. Only run it fast when I am skimming before a weekend of swimming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.