Closing pool with dead pump

LisaM

May 26, 2011
Well my pump has been limping along all summer and it has finally met its maker. I went to turn it on last night to filter the water for a day before closing it and it is DEAD. So the question now is.... what would be the best way to close it? Normally I use powder shock to bring the chlorine level up because I need the stabilizer over the winter. That is obviously not an option. Would it be ok to just pour liquid chlorine in around the edges? the ph is fine so luckily I do not need to adjust that. I just need to get the chlorine up. We have gotten a lot of rain this week also and the water level is about an inch ABOVE the skimmers right now so I will need to pull out my submersible pump and drop it to the low side of the skimmer box... I hate to close a dirty pool!

One more question. I cant backwash the DE out of the filter obviously. I hate to wash it all out onto my grass and the concrete is out of the question. Any suggestions?

I'd drain the pool some first. Then add bleach to shock levels. Brush the entire pool for several minutes to move the water around and spread out the chlorine. Maybe even use a floater and a few pucks as well if you're worried about the CYA level too.

We clean out our DE onto the grass all the time and it doesn't hurt it. After the first rain it all washes into the ground and disappears.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.