Thinking of adding Borates

Perkolater

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2011
Orlando, Florida
I have a new pool (completed June 14) Plaster, SWG 11,865 gallons. I have constant PH rise and go through a Gallon of MA or more ever couple of weeks. I added acid on Saturday and brought the PH down to 7.4 today when I tested it was up to at least 8 (the test kit only goes to 8) so in hopes of stopping the every other day addition of MA I am planning to go the borates route using Boric Acid.

My numbers:

FC 2 TC 2 PH 8 (added acid today to bring it down again)
TA 80, CH 190 CYA 60. Water temp 86.

According to the Pool Calculator I need 28lbs of Boric Acid to bring me up to the recommend 50 level. I have ordered the BA from the chemistry store and the test strips from TFTestkit. I understand that I add the BA slowly, brush like crazy and run the filter for 24 hours. I do have a couple of questions though:

1. Should I turn off the SWG when adding the BA? If so, how long to leave it off?
2. How long after adding the BA is it safe to swim again?
3. Since it is getting late in the season (even here in Central Florida) should I just wait to spring to add the BA?

Thanks for all the help!
Steve

Wait for the experts to confirm, bu I dont think borates will change the anoint of ma you use. Just how often you have to add. It will take more to cause a ph change in either direction.

What is your TA?

You can add the borates at any time, they don't were off so adding now or in spring won't matter.

I added borates for the same reason. I don't know if it was worth the trouble. It takes so much acid to lower the PH now that I still add some acid every day. My pool water is beautiful, but it was before I added borates as well, and it is said to have natural algaecidal properties and it may have something to do with the fact that I never see a hint of algae but I am not sure if I will do it again for the ph buffering effect.

If one has a problem with rising pH, then one should try significantly lower the TA level. That is the main thing to try first to reduce the amount of acid that needs to be added. If that helps, then adding borates will reduce the frequency of such additions. Adding borates without lowering the TA is not the solution to rising pH.

Now for new plaster that is curing, the pH will rise no matter what the TA. The borates may reduce the frequency from the rate of pH rise, but as was noted it takes more acid when you do add it -- basically, the same amount of acid per elapsed time. So maybe that will be helpful to you if the frequency is more of a problem than the quantity.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Does anyone know the answer to my other two questions about how long to wait to swim again and if the SWG needs to be turned off for any length of time while adding the BA?

If these have been answered somewhere else, just point me in the right direction. :)

Thanks again!

Borax dissolves pretty fast, almost immediately. We just broadcast it and brush. You can swim when your pH is adjusted after adding the borax. The pH and mixing of the acid is a bigger issue for swimming than the borax itself. Give the acid half hour to an hour, test pH. If it's all good, swim.

I honestly don't think the SWG on or off is an issue with borates but I'm not sure. If you want to be safe, just do it when the SWG is off, wait half an hour and then turn it back on. I think borates took us about 2 hours to add last season. Test pH, add borax while brushing, add acid, wait half hour and test/adjust pH. Then do it all again for the second phase. Done. :~}

The OP is using boric acid to borate the pool. That means he won't need any MA to readjust the pH. The pool should be safe to swim in with no restrictions.

I would suggest adding borates in two phases. One half of the required amount in each

I just wanted to say THANK YOU!!!! Prior to adding the Borates, I would have told you that my water couldn't get any better, it was already clear. But due to having to add acid almost daily I decided to add borates to see if I could slow down my MA consumption rate. According to the Pool Calculator I needed to add 28 lbs of Boric Acid (I went that route due to its simplicity). I added 15 lbs yesterday morning and by the afternoon my water SPARKLED!!! I tested this morning and was at 30 PPM so I added another 12 Pounds (or so, had to guesstimate how much from the 15lb bucket). My pool has never looked better!

I would never have known to do that if it wasn't for this forum, so THANK you to everyone that shares their knowledge with us newbies.

My "Lifetime Member" payment was just sent. Thanks again, hopefully as I learn more I'll be able to give back knowledge rather than just a one time payment.

You guys ROCK! :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.