Above ground build questions

I just ordered my Sharkline 15x30x52" pool. Looking forward to warmer weather (NJ) so I can start my build and get ready for summer.

I've been looking at the different products available for the wall and floor.

First the wall: A lot of sites advertise 1/8" wall foam to help pad the wall and provide insulation. Any opinions on these kinds of products? Do they really help keep the pool warmer and prevent liner punctures? Is it worth the $ or just another way to help separate me from my wallet? Also, all the products I've found are 48" wide, but my pool is 52" high. Has anybody found a wall foam 52" high?

Floor: Looking for a foam product to help insulate from the ground and also to provide a footprint free base. Found 1/2" Dow Styrofoam at my local Lowes. It seems like a tough product that could handle the compression of the water. It's even rated for below ground use. Any opinions on this or another recommended product?

JasonM

Hi! I installed an AG pool last year and after doing some research, I decided against the wall foam. I didn't feel there was that much of an insulating factor. As for the foam om the bottom,I stayed with just the sand for two reasons, The first being that it makes it easier to get the bottom of the liner smooth. The second being there is so much compression from the weight of the water the sand gets pretty solid and there will be no foot prints in the bottom of the pool. As a side note, I paid $800.00 to have my pool installed on a fairly level piece of ground. I took them 3 hours and they did a great job. As far as I am concerned this was money well spent. No matter what you do,read the "stickies" here and enjoy your pool!

Hi, Jason,

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the wall foam, either. The R-value is absolutely negligible.

Foam on the bottom might be more helpful if this is a DIY install. There's some AG experts here (I'm certainly not) that will chime in soon and give you a more valuable opinion.

We went with the sand and skipped the wall foam too. If I had to do it again, I would go for sand and pad over that, I think the gorilla pad or something - MAYBE. We don't have any complaints with the way we did it, just something different I guess.

Make sure you have a good liner, good level ground and install and spend the extra money on a good solar cover to hold the heat IN and solar system or heater to get that water warm in the first place. The solar systems are worth their weight in gold for anyone with all four seasons. A nice set of steps, a good automatic cleaner AND a SWG - that was one of our best investments after the solar panels.

I'm not trying to give you a sales pitch here, just providing some general info. I'm not even sure if we're going to offer this product online or not yet (trying to get the shipping details worked out right now - it may be oversized for UPS so it may get too costly to ship out).

The material is silver and is similar to the same way that the wall foam rolls out. It has been tested to retain as much as 80% of the water's heat. Their is also a similar material made for the floor of the pool. I can see if I can locate a photo or two to post here if you would like to see it in action.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.