pool heaters

Jul 5, 2011
HEY GUYS!
Anyone have information on what kind of pool heater to go with for 14x28 inground? Our pool installation is starting this wk. and now we're trying to decide on whether to go w/heater or not? Would be nice to have a longer pool season here in Indiana.
Sure appreciate all your helpful information!
Thanks

I wouldn't expect you to have a much longer season regardless of what kind of heater you have. You'll find that in Indiana, the cool air ends your season before cool water does.

I have solar heat, and my pool is currently 82, but with lower air temps, nobody is much interested in swimming. A heater here benefits you mostly by letting you keep the water warm during cool spells and adding a little warmth to the water for people who prefer it a little warmer than the natural temperature.

A gas heater works best when you want to warm the water quickly, say for a weekend pool party. A heat pump works best when you want to add heat to the water all the time. Solar works somewhat like a heat pump, but can't do anything at night or during cloudy weather. Gas or a heat pump will both use a significant amount of energy that will hit you in the wallet.

I seldom have trouble keeping my water in the upper 80s from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I'm about 35 miles SSW of Bloomington for geographic reference.

I have to disagree here. I live in IL and the heater makes the pool so much more usable to us. We don't heat it all the time, but when we choose to swim (even on a cool weekend) all we have to do is turn on the heat and I can get it to whatever temp we want. If you are going to get a heater and want to extend your season, you will also need some sort of cover to put on at night, or you will lose too much heat at night.

Agreed. I have a Pentair Master Temp gas heater. It heats the pool pretty quickly. Last weekend we went from 79 to 88 in about 4 hours. Using the return side cleaner helped as it moved the hot water through the pool as it cleaned. We also use an 18mil clear solar cover allowing us to maintain temperature and even produce heat as long as the sun is out. With the reel and the cover, it cost us $350 and it was worth every penny.

JohnT said:
I wouldn't expect you to have a much longer season regardless of what kind of heater you have. You'll find that in Indiana, the cool air ends your season before cool water does.

I have solar heat, and my pool is currently 82, but with lower air temps, nobody is much interested in swimming. A heater here benefits you mostly by letting you keep the water warm during cool spells and adding a little warmth to the water for people who prefer it a little warmer than the natural temperature.

A gas heater works best when you want to warm the water quickly, say for a weekend pool party. A heat pump works best when you want to add heat to the water all the time. Solar works somewhat like a heat pump, but can't do anything at night or during cloudy weather. Gas or a heat pump will both use a significant amount of energy that will hit you in the wallet.

I seldom have trouble keeping my water in the upper 80s from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I'm about 35 miles SSW of Bloomington for geographic reference.

i agree.. i thought a heater would extend the season and it definately could but with school still in session in may and sept it does not get used much in the extended season... but i would put a heater in again ( a heat pump) my pool is 88 all summer even if it is cool out, heck its 88 now...

My next heater will be a Max-E-Therm 400k btu natural gas. And solar for my next house :)

My current heater is a 400k btu LAARS. We heat for luxury. At the beginning and end of the season we heat to raise the temp a few degrees to take the chill off.

In the winter we heat the hot tub mostly. On special occasions or a long weekend in winter we will heat the entire pool for a few days which is affordable. Heating 24/7 all month is very very expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.