Help me with drainage for AGP...

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
I have posted something similar here before but this is about the drainage.
I have a 1 foot drop on the high side of my AGP. We plan on putting river rocks around the pool 3/4 to 1 inch stones.
I am not sure how to drain water away from the pool. In my case from the high end to the low end which is the back of the yard.
My plan was to back fill the pool right to the wall with gravel or dirt on the high side. Then put the river rocks on top of that. Here are my concerns.
1) I have a wilbar all steel pool...would backfilling hurt my pool walls ? My pool is not rated for "in ground" use.
2) Im not sure about drainage---someone else suggested I put down a corrugated pipe, I would guess on the bottom. But If I did that I am not sure how
water could possibly even get in there if its underneath rocks and dirt. Furthermore...its a circular type pipe....I would think little critters would get in there as well and block it up.
My pool seems like its eroding away with all the rain we have been getting.
When I think of corrugated pipe I think of this. Am I thinking of the wrong thing here ?
[attachment=0:3s8iilwr]corrugatedPipe.jpg[/attachment:3s8iilwr]

Attachments

• corrugatedPipe.jpg
    corrugatedPipe.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 157
That looks like the right pipe; it should have ~1/2" holes drilled in it all along one side. To install it, you lay it down in the trench (make sure it's graded so the water runs downhill!) and cover it with coarse gravel. You can put river rocks on top of the gravel if you want.

Feel free to ask more questions if you need to.

Melt In The Sun said:
That looks like the right pipe; it should have ~1/2" holes drilled in it all along one side. To install it, you lay it down in the trench (make sure it's graded so the water runs downhill!) and cover it with coarse gravel. You can put river rocks on top of the gravel if you want.

Feel free to ask more questions if you need to.
Sorry for the dumb questions.
Why the holes ? Wont gravel or dirt just get in the holes ?
What do you mean "graded so it runs downhill ? Do you mean put some dirt under it near the pool wall so it slopes away from the pool wall ?

The idea is that water collects in the gravel, goes through the holes into the pipe, and then flows away. Many people put landscaping fabric under the gravel so that relatively little dirt can get into the gravel, but that isn't really required. There needs to be at least a little gravel below the pipe, around the pipe, and above the pipe.

The pipe should slope down towards where it drains so that water flows towards the drain. The surface of the gravel over the pipe can be level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.