Low Pressure/Air in System

Sep 10, 2011
Hi, hopefully someone can help me here. I have a basic inground pool. It has a 3/4hp pump, only 2 years old. It has a 75sqft Hayward cartridge filter. Recently, the pressure is down to about 3 PSI. When I look into the basket area attached to the pump, it doesnt seem to be drawing tons of water in like it should. When I use the bleeder valve to remove the air, it takes a long time to get up to the top...water is not filling the cartridge. That has had no effect. The filter itself is less than a year old and pretty clean. When I run the system without any filter, it drops to less than 2 PSI, so I do not think it is the filter. So, I naturally suspect the pump, but it is new and I had it looked at 6 months ago by a pump service company (for another issue) and they gave it a clean bill of health. I do not seem to be leaking water anywhere in the system. I do not seem to be adding more water that usual so I do not suspect an underground leak. Any ideas?

Thank you

Welcome to the forum :lol: You have a suction side air leak. Air is being drawn into the system somewhere between the pump and your skimmers. Find that leak(s) and it will solve the issue.

Common places to look for are...

1. proper seating of the O-ring on top of the pump strainer basket

2. Misaligned unions or a cracked joint

3. Valves that need repair

4. The pump drain is not screwed in tight.

There are others but you will find the problem on the suction side of your system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.