LQ appears to be using too much chlorine

Nightmare

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 21, 2011
Riverside, CA
I'm not sure exactly how large my pools is, probably somewhere between 25,000 and 29,000 gallons.

Last month or two is has been warm down here in SoCal. My pool has LOTS of sun exposure (from about 9 am to just about sunset 6-7 pm). It went through about 3 gallons of 12% in about 2 weeks. It may have been a little more chlorine, but it's hard to get an exact level.

I tried to calculate the monthly cost for tablets vs liquid chlorine. I think 1 gallon a week is about the same as the tablets (maybe a little more for the liquid).

Is the pool too big and/or in too much sun for the LQ? My CYA level was about 55 when I checked 10 days ago.

I can put the floats back into the pool for a month, I still have a bunch of tablets.

Am I missing something?

If you're losing about 2 ppm per day, which is pretty normal your daily use will be between 3 qts and a gallon of 6% per day. Or about half that much 12%. 3 gals in 2 weeks is about 1 qt per day which is darn good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.