I'm betting this is dead algae?

After finally getting my pump to go, I woke up this morning and noticed a lot of "white patches" floating on the surface of the pool. The water has been milky for several days (noob problems... :hammer: ) but now I'm shooting the chlorine to it and trying to get it back to crystal clear.

I'm guessing that the white stuff floating around may be dead algae? It was still pretty dark out when I had my morning coffee on the patio, but I think it looked a little foamy. My wife is off work today and I'll get her to skim it off.

In the meantime, I'm planning on backwashing the filter this evening, and twice tomorrow and Sunday. Also, should have internet at home by tonight, so I'll shoot some numbers at you as well.

Any advice/comments?

Backwash as needed. Too much is not always a good thing.

I has foamy white stuff while I was cleaning my pool as well. It was a good month long shock process, complete with solid waste. Both times was after the pump had been off for a bit, an hour later (with pump running), it was completely gone. I would say it is nothing to worry about, but I am not sure what it is exactly.

Just keep at it and it will be back to crystal clear. :smile:

I agree w/BOR. Too much backwashing/cleaning the filter is not necessary. We recommend that you clean the filter when the pressure rises enough, usually about 6 psi over the starting clean filter pressure psi.

When I hear (see) the word 'foam', I think of algaecide. Regardless of the source, chlorine will take care of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.