TA too high

Sep 7, 2011
I just got a SW pool built and read most of your pool school posts on how to get it properly set up. Unfortunately I didn't follow your instructions as detailed as I should. I was anxious to get the CYA and the borates in and was due to take a weekend trip and wanted to get them in before I left so that the pool could run and my boys could swim when I got back. Well I didn't get my TA down to the recommended levels before I added the CYA and borates. Now I'm wondering if I'm stuck with a high TA (unless I want to drain and refill my pool, which I don't want to do)?

I'm having to regularly add acid and I think its just b/c my TA is so high. Any thoughts?

TA is easy to lower.

Add acid. Aerate to raise pH. Repeat.

It will come down eventually, as long as you keep adding acid. If you check pool calculator, where it says "effects of adding chemicals," you'll see that a pretty good drop in pH is usually a pretty small drop in TA. So it can take a while. This article tells how to accelerate the process.

It's best to add the acid in a "water column" to lower Total Alkalinity. With the pool pump off and the water settled. Pour the acid in one spot (usually the deepest part of the pool). The acid will go to the bottom of the pool and will lower the Alkalinity more effectively. If you just pour the acid around the edges of the the pool it will lower the Alkalinity eventually but will lower the pH more then a "water column" will.

AquaDoctorLLC said:
It's best to add the acid in a "water column" to lower Total Alkalinity. With the pool pump off and the water settled. Pour the acid in one spot (usually the deepest part of the pool). The acid will go to the bottom of the pool and will lower the Alkalinity more effectively. If you just pour the acid around the edges of the the pool it will lower the Alkalinity eventually but will lower the pH more then a "water column" will.

No.

The "water column" method, also known as slugging, is not a recommended method of adding acid or lowering TA. In fact, it is damaging to pool surfaces. There is no research to support that it lowers TA any more effectively than by adding acid the recommended way which is by slowly pouring the acid in front of a return while the pump is running. A given volume of acid will lower the TA and the pH by the same amount, whether it is added in a column or broadcasted. But as it stands, the only safe way to add acid is slowly and always with the pool pump running so as to allow the acid to mix and not settle in dependant areas where it can cause damage to plaster surfaces or liners.

Ditto what 257 said. DON'T allow acid to sit on the surface of your pool. It doesn't matter what pool surface you have, undiluted acid will do it damage! It also won't be any more effective at lowering TA than pouring it slowly in front of a return.

AquaDoctorLLC said:
Wrong.
http://www.poolhelp.com/JSPSI_V1N2_16-30_AcidColumn.pdf

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.