Above ground Pool Liner Leaks

Sep 7, 2011
Can anyone tell me if they ever had this problem. I had a new liner installed in my 12 x 24 oval above ground pool this May. From the first week it seemed as if It was leaking about an 1/8th of an inch a day. Weeks later I was up to about 2 inches a day. I called my pool guy and he said he dived in and patched three small holes. He coudlnt quite figure out where they came from. He thought I did it with my vacuum head. Well it's a new vacuum head and I have been vacuuming for 20 years and never put a hole in the liner before. He didnt think the liner was defective. So I went to my local pool store looking for a fix. When I expalined to him what was happening he asked me if I recently had termites in my house. A light went off in my head because a week before my liner was installed I had termites and a company came with bait staions and that took care of termites in the house. But the pool store guy then said that he had a few customers coming in the store complaining of termites eating their vinyl liner also. Small tiny holes. Has anyone heard of this or had this happen to them? I want to fix this problem ASAP

This is a fairly common question on the board. When I do leak detections on above grounds there is a good chance I find either a couple major holes or dozens of tiny pin sized holes in the cove (where the wall meets the floor). when the customer asks where they come from I really never have a definate answer. I mention the insect theory as mentioned on the board. The only other reference I know of that backs up that theory was in an old handy man book where it said to treat the ground with a non petroleum based insecticide before setting up an above ground pool. Also I noticed there seems to be a pattern.. the holes are only found in the cove and the holes are never completely around the perimeter. In other words the holes are only found on one side of the pool usually having a bunch of holes in one area that taper off in each direction kinda like a crescent moon.

I see that this is an older post, but what X-PertPool (Kevin) is describing is EXACTLY my liner's situation. Last July I noticed a severe water loss, and we patched about 20+ tiny pin holes. Now today, I notice wet areas around the pool on the same side as last year and I'm going to at least have to get in and patch some more. Can anyone tell me for near certainty -- is this a termite problem that we have? We've been so careful with the liner and this is only it's third summer. If it's termites is there anything we can do short of replacing the liner immediately and exterminating, assuming the pool company won't offer to warranty this problem? Is there any helpful treatment I can do around the outside of the pool or through the pool liner? Thanks for any help.

Maureen
14,000 gal / 24' round vinyl liner pool

Theres a liquid you can pour into the pool that finds the small pinholes and fills them I forget what its called. You can google it. also en exterminator can put in the stakes, i have four of them around my 12 by 24 oval pool and the termites eat the bait and die.

Just curious..... This post is a new one on me... I must ask if this malady has also been experienced by people that don't live where termites are a problem?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Which bait system do you use? I've been reading non-stop online for 2 days and there is so much conflicting information out there (just like on every other topic, it seems). I ordered some Termidor to trench around the outside of the pool -- that seems to be the fastest kill method, and I was considering Advance or Firstline for prevention for the house -- they swarmed last summer between the house and the pool -- great! :eek:) We thought they were flying ants -- after investigating online, all the pieces seem to fit together to equal termites. Not very happy with pool store right now, they never mentioned any insect prevention during install -- of course that might cut down on liner sales... :eek:(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.