Lake Water

Jul 5, 2008
Ok - this sounds crazy but I thought I would at least ask the questions of the experts.

We are battling High Calcium from repeated fills of well water (275). No Rain in Texas.

I am trying to find another solution to draining the pool in this environment and putting even more stress on the well.

WE do live near a large lake. I irrigate from the lake. What would happen if I added small amounts of lake water over time ? The lake water I am sure contains algae but in
a 5 gallon white bucket it is not visible. There are no solids, sand etc in it.

Adding more Chlorine (in addition to the SWG) seems mild compared to Re-filling the Pool.

What do you think folks ?

For those that are already screaming, I said up front that it was a crazy idea - maybe.

Thanks for your help.

I think the lake may be quite a good idea (if it's legal?). It is likely to have much lower CH than your well water. You're right about the algae; but if you keep an eye on your chlorine it should work just fine. Keep in mind that topping off with lake water won't lower your calcium; to do that you'll have to partially drain/refill.

Various government agencies will have water quality assessments of any large lake. You should locate the reports to evaluate the suitability of using the water. The agencies should be able to advise you as to the suitability of using the water for the pool and if there are any permits needed to use the water.

Filtering the pool water or the lake water using reverse osmosis might also be possible if there is a service in your area that will do that, or if you want to buy a system that can work over time to reduce the calcium.

I have filled my entire pool twice from my pond.....surely much higher organic content than your lake.

pH is usually around 7.4 and TA 90 when it comes in and CH is around 100. I bring it in through the filter, backwashing about every three-five hours, and then it takes about 3-4 days of high FC consumption and lots of backwashing/filtering but it is then pristine.

All our lakes here seem to have bluegreen algae in them now and are posted not recommended to swim in :( even Texoma where our boat is now has bluegreen algae warnings out! So much for a quick dip from the boat... Chech the water quality report from what ever lake you pull from and make sure it is in decent shape first!

It seems to me this thread is making it harder than it needs to be.

What you want in your pool is H2O without organics.

Lake/pond water is H2O with organics.

Chlorine kills organics.

I know there are some other considerations like metals but I think you will find that metal concentrations high enough to be an issue are probably not found in Lakes and ponds.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
I know there are some other considerations like metals but I think you will find that metal concentrations high enough to be an issue are probably not found in Lakes and ponds.
+1. It is very unlikely that there will be any significant amount of metals in surface water. A test wouldn't hurt though.

I've got high CH & TA in my well water and am getting ready to setup a larger above ground pool. One thing I've thought of doing is checking the local city water and if it's better than my well water seeing if the local rural volunteer fire department would deliver some of that water for costs plus a donation. I'd just thought of that yesterday and haven't had a chance to investigate it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Thought I'd suggest it as another avenue for you to look at.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.