Inital tests

Dec 22, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
My first tests since having the plaster replaced. I tested the pH which not surprisingly was below 6.8 (base demand was 17) since I added 6 gallons of muriatic acid per instructions for an acid startup because of the 3M Colorquartz Crystals. Next I tested Total Alkalinity at 40, and Calcium Hardness at 290. To start to balance the water I added 4 lbs. of Baking Soda (approx. 1/2 of amount needed according to treatment chart included in my test kit (Leslie's #18-576) made by Taylor. Since I have not yet added any Cyanuric acid or Chlorine there was no need to test for them.
After bringing up the TA, I will raise the pH, then add the conditioner, a metal sequestering agent and chlorine. Over the past 4 years of taking care of this pool I don't think that I have brushed it as much as I have in prepping the new plaster. According to the salesman who recommended the Quartz Chrystals I should wait for about a month before putting in the Hayward Ultra Vac or a solar cover.
Does waiting a month sound too long?

Temp = 47
ph < 6.8
TA = 40
CH = 290

As the plaster cures it will raise the PH, TA, and CH. Normally with fresh plaster and an acid start you don't need to adjust the PH, TA, or CH for the first few weeks. If you raise the PH, TA, or CH too much right now then by the time the plaster cures you may well overshoot the goal numbers. Most of the plaster curing will happen in the first three or four week. After that the plaster will continue curing for up to a year but far more slowly than it does at first.

raising pH and TA

Thank you for the comment JasonLion. When I first started the acid startup I was getting a fair amount of plaster dust. The spa remained clear as did the pool. After being concerned that the acid was not strong enough I contacted my PB and at that time was told that I could increase the amount of acid. When I did this my spa became very cloudy, so much so that I cannot see the bottom. Probably put in too much acid. My reasoning in balancing the pool now instead of waiting is to clear up the spa. Since I do not want to circulate the acidic water thru my heater I am balancing the pool. I do expect the pH and TA to raise during the curing process but will address that at that time. I have the quartz crystals embedded in the plaster and both the acid and the brushing expose the crystals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.