How come they don't make trichlor pucks without cya?

I think you believe that the chlorine products have CYA added to them, but that is not the case. The various chlorine products are chemical compounds (molecules), not mixtures of chlorine with CYA or chlorine with calcium. Look at the chemical structure of Trichlor, Dichlor and Cal-Hypo. The CYA and calcium are part of the molecule itself. Compare that to sodium hypochlorite. Believe me, if it were possible to create a slow-dissolving tablet with chlorine that didn't increase CYA nor CH, it would have been invented by now. Unfortunately, the chemistry limits what is possible.

Probably the closest product that could do this would be lithium hypochlorite since it is in solid (powder/granular) form so could, in theory, be compressed into tablets, though likely would need some sort of binders just like Cal-Hypo tabs and they tend to fall apart too quickly and leave a gummy mess. Lithium hypochlorite is also VERY expensive -- over 5 times the price of chlorinating liquid, bleach or Cal-Hypo. There is also magnesium hypochlorite but it only comes in a form that has magnesium hydroxide so is very basic/alkaline.

chem geek said:
I think you believe that the chlorine products have CYA added to them, but that is not the case. The various chlorine products are chemical compounds (molecules), not mixtures of chlorine with CYA or chlorine with calcium. Look at the chemical structure of Trichlor, Dichlor and Cal-Hypo. The CYA and calcium are part of the molecule itself. Compare that to sodium hypochlorite. Believe me, if it were possible to create a slow-dissolving tablet with chlorine that didn't increase CYA nor CH, it would have been invented by now. Unfortunately, the chemistry limits what is possible.
Good point, I stand corrected :oops:

Could go boom? People flying out of the pool? Not good. :hammer: Chem Geek Thanks for the chemistry lesson. I always enjoy reading your posts. Thats just what I thought, that they added it. Now I get it! They can't make! :( filix.

That's calcium hypochlorite that is usually around 35% or so calcium.....another no-no if it gets too high. They are also usually not very acceptable in pools as they dissolve too quickly.

There are tabs made with Dimethyl Hydantoin and 5-ethyl-5-methylhydantoin, which I think are used in some swimming pools outside of the US. Some bromine tabs contain 1,3-Dichloro-5,5-Dimethyl Hydantoin and 1,3-Dichloro-5-ethyl-5-methylhydantoin, such as Bio guard bromo brix spa brominating briquettes, Kem tek spa kem bromi-buoy,Bioguard brombrix pool brominating briquettes, and Dantobrom.

The only (100 %) 1,3-Dichloro-5,5-Dimethyl Hydantoin pool product I could find was Swimfree chlorinator for swimming pools, which no longer has an active registration.

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Pro ... _NR=006836

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Pro ... _NR=007616

I'm not sure why 1,3-Dichloro-5,5-Dimethyl Hydantoin and 1,3-Dichloro-5-ethyl-5-methylhydantoin are not used in the US except for in bromine tabs. The hydantoin does build up and reduce chlorine or bromine's effectiveness, but it's not clear how much.

Other than bromine tabs, the only US products that I could find that use hydantoin based chlorine tabs are the tabs used in toilet bowl bleach tablet products, such as X-14 Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner.

toilet-b52463987.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
brg88tx said:
has anyone ever tried using these x14 tabs in your pools?
I wouldn't use those. They might contain some unknown problem chemical. Even if they didn't contain any other chemicals than what are listed, the dimethylhydantoin can be a problem in its own right.

Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) is really the best choice in most cases.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.