Changing Pump-Other Improvements?

Sprocket

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2011
Central Florida
Below is a picture of my current equipment. I have ordered a Pentair Whisperflo WDE-3. Originally I planned to DIY the replacement, but this is going to be a busy week and it needs to get done ASAP, so I plan to have a local shop do it.

While they are here, are there any other issues I should have them address? Someone mentioned raising the filter height on my earlier post. Also, the pad is not level. The edge against the house has sunk an inch or so.

Edit - Looks like it is now going to be a DIY event. I am somewhat skilled but this will be a first. I've changed out a motor before and worked with PVC in my irrigation system. Looking at the pictures below, what would be the best procedure for cutting out the old pump? I'm not sure how the new one is going to line up, which will determine how much re-plumbing I will need to do. Does it make sense to simply cut in the middle and re-plumb as is with a coupler/union where I make the cuts?
[attachment=0:2i3euygg]pool equipment.jpg[/attachment:2i3euygg]

Attachments

• pool front view.jpg
    pool front view.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 121
  • pool equipment.jpg
    pool equipment.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 89
Unless you want them to charge you for a lot of plumbing all I'd let them do is replace the pump. As long as the pad being out of level isn't putting any undue strain on the plumbing I wouldn't worry about trying to fix that. That would require disconnecting everything and replumbing after leveling.

Melt In The Sun said:
I'd cut off as little as necessary at first; you'll get a better idea of what you need to do once you lay the new pump in place. A union at the inlet and outlet is a good idea.
I've never used a union before but briefly looked at them at HD. Is it as simple as having a threaded 2" to 1.5" reducer screwed into the pump (all piping is 1.5"), with a short length of pipe, followed by the union? If it doesn't line up, will I most likely have to re-run the pipes from the pump to the filter? Hopefully the intake side will line up so I don't have to replumb that since there is very little room between the pump and the diverter valve.

Sprocket said:
Melt In The Sun said:
I'd cut off as little as necessary at first; you'll get a better idea of what you need to do once you lay the new pump in place. A union at the inlet and outlet is a good idea.
I've never used a union before but briefly looked at them at HD. Is it as simple as having a threaded 2" to 1.5" reducer screwed into the pump (all piping is 1.5"), with a short length of pipe, followed by the union? If it doesn't line up, will I most likely have to re-run the pipes from the pump to the filter? Hopefully the intake side will line up so I don't have to replumb that since there is very little room between the pump and the diverter valve.

If piping is 1 1/2 inch then you need 1 1/2 inch couple unless you have difference size piping on each side of the couple then you will have to have a reducer. I have never run into that case.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.