Can I clean the salt cell?

Jan 5, 2008
Geelong Australia
Hi there

As a fairly new pool owner I have tried to absorb as much information as I can. I have already posted questions in another place in the forum and had fantastic replies and great help! So here I am again.

This is in regards to my Questachlor Xtra salt chlorinator. The cell which is made up of 5 plates about 8" long. Looking at the cell
left to right: on the left is the cap that has the lead coming from the control box which has the timer and salt monitor guage.

Last night I happened to be the near the unit and noticed it was kind of flicking on and off and the salt monitor guage was not steady at Summer but also flicking back and forward. I turned it off and and rotated the two knobs a few times (there is one for amount of salt production and one for self cleaning frequency) and it seemed OK after that.

There is a some white deposit build up on the plate that connects from the cap to the long plates on the right of the end cap. There is none on the one opposite. I've increased the self cleaning frequency by rotating the knob clockwise.

The cell was replaced by the previous owner about a year and half ago.

Do I need to clean the cell somehow? Any suggestions or help much appreciated.

Cheers :)

Hi there

Thanks for that Questa products are manufactured here in Oz but I've scoured the net and come up empty handed. Muriatic acid from my early school days is hydrochloric acid I think.

When you say diluted: how much dilution do you suggest?

And also another question not related to the chlorinator: I have a Super Jetflow pump that has a large inspection cap with a large o ring that seals it to the pump body. I remove that from time to time to clean the filter basket. It's never overtightened and always lubricated with Hydoseal when I replace it.
I've noticed lately that when the pump stops it spurts out a jet of water from under the lid. I've cleaned it reversed the o ring and resealed it, but it still happening.

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.