How Small is too Small?

Jun 29, 2011
Texas
As in my sig, I have a 25k gal pool. It has 1.5" pipe intake and returns. From what I read, I need to calcualte the head, but right now I can only state the DE filter reads 25 when running.

The pump looks very old, and is a 2HP. Given my power bill jump of $100/month (from last house to this house in teh same city), I'd like to drop down to a smaller pump, but I'm not sure how small is too small?

Is 1HP small enough, or can I go even smaller?

As long as you don't have an in floor cleaning system, or a spa, or waterfall, or fountain, or other water feature you can go with a very small pump, perhaps a 3/4 HP. I have a 1/2 HP on my 19,000 gallon pool. Even better for saving money is to get a two speed very small pump.

If you do have a spa, in floor system, or water feature, you may need the larger pump, but you can still go with a two speed and run it on low when not using the spa, in floor system, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.