norbie

Aug 21, 2007
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,
I bought a Loop-Loc mesh cover last year and would like some info on how to close my pool. I usually close my inground 16x32 pool around the end of September. I'm new to the mesh cover. I use Bromine and was wondering if I do anything different as far as closing my pool. I've seen kits specifically for mesh covers. Is this an option or do I just adjust my chemicals?
Any information would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance :?:

With a mesh cover it is important to close fairly late in the season, ideally when the water has gotten below 50 degrees. You also don't lower the water level as much as you might with a solid cover. The mesh cover needs to be able to rest on the surface of the water, which usually means keeping the water level a little higher than you would otherwise.

You don't do anything special with chemical treatments for a mesh cover, raise to shock level and add algaecide just as with a solid cover.

I have a Loop-Loc Safety cover and there is no way my cover is going to rest on the surface of the pool water unless the pool is filled right to the top edge and overflowing. My cover is stretched TIGHT! Jason, I can only assume you are talking about mesh covers that are not of this type? I do lower my water levels below the skimmer by 2-3 inches and blow out my lines.

BadOleRoss said:
I have a Loop-Loc Safety cover and there is no way my cover is going to rest on the surface of the pool water unless the pool is filled right to the top edge and overflowing. My cover is stretched TIGHT! Jason, I can only assume you are talking about mesh covers that are not of this type? I do lower my water levels below the skimmer by 2-3 inches and blow out my lines.

Hey Ross :wave:

I think the key word in Jason's response is able. The cover needs to be able to rest on the water's surface when loaded down with snow and ice. If it can't the material can become over=stretched and rip, therefore voids the warranty.

Hi,

This will be my first time closing my pool. I also have a mesh safety cover.

When I moved in to my house 2 years ago, the pool was already closed. I noticed in the winter that my cover was stretched very tight when there was snow on it due to the water being very low. I also had issues with my liner floating when opening the pool.

Last year I had the local pool company close the pool. They didn't drain the water out nearly as much (approx 5 inches below the skimmer). During the winter the cover didn't sag as much, and in the spring the liner was fine.

The one thing I did notice when opening it was that the mesh had allowed water to seep through, which raised my water level above my skimmer inlet. I'm assuming that this could lead to issues?

Any help clarifying which way is better would be appreciated.

Thanks
Shawn

Sorry for the delay in responding :(

Taking the water to the level you did is fine. In some areas with heavier rain or snow, you'd want to take a little more water out of the pool for closing (10" of snow =~ 1" water).

Going over the skimmer mouth top can allow you the water you need to rid yourself of a spring algae problem without having to drop your garden hose in the pool to get it back up to operational level :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in the same boat here. 1st season with a pool and I just bought a mesh cover that I need to install. I'd like to hear more about how low to drop the water level. Below the skimmers? Above the returns?

Definitely below the skimmer. Some do below the returns then add more water. Depends on if you are closing it yourself (below the returns is easier to blow out lines I think). It should be about 15” below the surface if you have a lot of snow so it can rest on the frozen water so it does not stretch too much. That is what I have gathered here.

Yes, then you lower it during the winter if it approaches the tile. You don’t want ice forming at the tile line. That leads to tile pops.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.