6" or 8"

CARSON

Mar 29, 2011
I will start building my inground gunite pool soon and am getting conflicting information about recommended gunite thickness. The pool will be 5' deep at the deepest point with 3/8" rebar on 8" centers. What would you want 6" or 8" of gunite? I know thicker is stronger but is it necessary? The additional cost will be about $1,500. The soil is high in clay content (it does crack with lack of rain). Location is south Texas.
Thanks for any input.

Some people with a lot more knowledge than me will come along soon. If it turns out to be a close call, just remember you can't buy the other two inches later. What does the pool builder say about it?

I am contracting out this pool myself and my plans call for 8". I have gotten several bids and some gunite companies decided to bid the job with 6" and tell me 8" is not necessary. Just trying to make a decision before it is too late.

Carson:

My PB goes with 8" on the bond beam and 12" on the floor. Up to you, but I would think - and I'm no expert - that with the outside pressures that will be against the shell, the thicker the better. Just my $.02

CARSON said:
I will start building my inground gunite pool soon and am getting conflicting information about recommended gunite thickness. The pool will be 5' deep at the deepest point with 3/8" rebar on 8" centers. What would you want 6" or 8" of gunite? I know thicker is stronger but is it necessary? The additional cost will be about $1,500. The soil is high in clay content (it does crack with lack of rain). Location is south Texas.
Thanks for any input.

Not only does the soil crack with a lack of rain, when there is a lot of moisture, it SWELLS. Expansive soils can put lots of pressure on structures. Go with what your designer called for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.