Newbie needs help with filter/pump among other things

Sep 3, 2011
Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some help. I'm looking to purchase a pool soon for an early install in the spring. I've been looking at www.sunenterprises.com and also at www.royalswimmingpools.com. I want to purchase a 30 footer. I've already been in contact with an installer who has years of experience and that I'm comfortable with. I love the styling of the Diamond Star at sunenterprises, but essentially I think it's the same pool as the Tahitian at royalswimminpools. Both are made by Wilbar and as far as I can tell and from research I've done, they're the same pool in a different design. Like I said I prefer the design of the Diamond Star, but so far I've noticed the customer service and prices are better at Royal. That being said, I think I'm leaning towards the Tahitian. Rather than go with their generic equipment package I was hoping you people could help me out. I'm thinking of going with a Hayward 200lb sand filter (since I'm a newbie and sand seems easiest). They bundle it with a 1.5HP pump. Should I request a smaller pump? If so, which one?

I also want to make sure I order everything I need for winter such as cover, air pillows, plugs, skimmer winter plate, etc.

Next, automatic chlorinator. Do I need one? Am I better off with the cheap little floaty chlorinator? The upgrade to auto is only $45 so not a big deal, just not sure if it's recommended or not.

Lastly, do I need to order hoses, fittings, clamps, etc. or will that be included?

Anything else I'm not thinking of would be greatly appreciated. I'll worry about chemicals when setup time nears. Thanks for any info you can provide.

With a 30' pool I'd go with at least a 300# sand filter and a 1hp full rated pump. Also make sure it's a 2-speed.

Don't get the chlorinator. If you're going to get anything, get a swcg or a liquid chlorine injection system.

All the plumbing, etc should be spelled out in the contract.

Yikes, the biggest sand filter I see on the sites I'm purchasing from is 250#. Do you think I would be better off with a DE Filter? I know they're a little more advanced but I'm sure I could learn.

I'm looking into the SWCG as it seems to be the most highly recommended on this site, but the only one I see available is a ChlorEaseâ„¢ Saltwater Generator . Not sure if that's any good or not. Time to do some more research....

So, why don't people on here like the auto chlorinators? I'm trying to search before I post questions that I'm sure have been answered, but search results are giving me too much info, and it's hard to find specifics.

Edit: Nevermind, I think Pool School just answered my question: "The CYA that they put into your pool water doesn't get used up, and instead accumulates. Eventually the CYA level will build up to a point that renders your chlorine ineffective. Typically, everything is fine, until one day you start to develop algae and don't understand why."

A 250# would be ok if you can't find a 300# model.

You just answered the other question about the chlorinators.

There are lots of swcgs to choose between, everything from Intex to High end pool pilots, etc. depending on what you want to pay and what bells and whistles you want.

Look at the data plate. If the service factor (SF) is 1 or very close to it, then it's an uprated pump. If it's 1.2 or greater then it's full rated. Also the mfg's info will usually tell you whether it's an uprated or full rated.

I tend to look at the Pump/Filter combination Systems which are usually big filters with oversized pumps. I guess I should purchase them seperately, but not sure what's compatible with what.

Would someone be able to recommed me a 250-300# sand filter with a compatible pump for a 30' above ground? I'm looking to stay in $500-$600 price range for a good quality combo. This is the last piece to my puzzle (I think)....

Bama Rambler...thanks again!

I just talked to my installer about an SWCG, turns out I'll be spending more money...lol.

What would you recommend for pump/filter if my budget was about $100 less.

Having a hard time finding the 2 speed Dynamo with on/off switch and cord. One I found was $355....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was looking at a Hayward Powerflow Matrix (1hp, 2 speed). This is more in my price range, or at least I'm finding a better deal on it.

I noticed that the SD80 is for in-ground...does that matter that I'm using it for above ground? Would the Pentair SD80 pair well with the Hayward Powerflow Matrix pump, or should I look for a Hayward filter?

Bama....just want to say thank you for your prompt responses. I haven't purchased yet, but I'm leaning towards the Hayward S44T filter, with the Hayward Powerflow Matrix (1hp, 2 speed) pump. I can get both for about $580 which I find to be a good deal.

You've been a tremendous help. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon. This place is great!

That should work just fine. I have a 250lb s220T on mine and the 300lb filter is just about right for a 30ft round. Good luck with the install and wise choice by going two speed :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.