Strainer Basket Lid Blows Off When Turning Off Filter Pump

twowhlrcr

Gold Supporter
Sep 1, 2011
Goodyear, AZ
Hey guys.

When I turn off my filter pump, I get a backflow of water that blows my strainer basket lid off. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Pool 001 20.JPG
    Pool 001 20.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Pool 002 20.JPG
    Pool 002 20.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Pool 004 20.JPG
    Pool 004 20.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 126
Re: Strainer Basket Lid Blows Off When Turning Off Filter Pu

Check for air in the filter. If there is a bleed valve at the top of the filter tank, open it and let the air bleed until it is all gone. If there is no bleed valve, you may unscrew the gauge and let the air out.
Trapped air will compress when the system pressurizes, then when the pump stops, it pushes water back out.

Look for a suction side leak. Air is getting into the system and cuasing the basket to be pushed out when the pump stops. It's a pretty common to have a suction side leak. Check the skimmer and weir, check the pump basket lid and drain plug(s).

Yeah, you are pulling air into the system and, as a result, pressurizing your filter. Once the pump stops, the pressurized air in the filter pushes, the water back through the system and pops up your strainer basket.

Find that air leak on the suction side and the issue will be solved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.