CYA - Making Sure I am Understanding Pool Calculator

Yep

Or just buy 8lbs of stabilizer and toss in a few tablets to save a few bucks. I've only found stabilizer in 4lb buckets so you'll end up with way extra if trying to find "just over 8".

Do you have a SWG?? Any CYA at all right now in the pool?? Why such a high number?

That sounds about right. You might want to stick a tape measure in and double-check the depth. And this is assuming it's a fresh fill and that there is no CYA in it already.

You haven't been feeding it pucks to chlorinate, have you?

I'd go low initially. If it asks for 8 lbs, start with 6. It's easy to add more later, hard to lower it if you overshoot.

Pool has been running about a week, did a couple of tests last night (tf test kit), reading 0 cya, when i talked to my installer he said that should be right because we have not added anything to raise the CYA level. Our lowes has 3lb containers, and i do have a swg

You don't want to add granular CYA directly to the pool. The granules are acidic and can damage the surface if left in one place for too long. One easy way to add CYA is to put the granules into a sock or stocking and either put that in the skimmer or hang it in front of a return jet.

So after rain stopped yesterday morning I decided to try to get my CYA up, I added 5lbs of stabilizer (sock by the return)from Home Depot to start. We have had some cooler weather so the pool water temp has dropped 8 degrees since Friday (currently 76), I did some testing this morning and here are the levels:
FC-11 (tested 2 times same result)
pH-8
TA-160
CYA-30

I am going to wait a little longer before I add more stabilizer (calculator said 8lbs), before I added the stabilizer my FC was 1.5-2.0 is this normal? I have also been running my SWG and pump 24/7 at 100% - now that I have somewhat of a CYA level I am wondering if I should leave the running time of the pump the same (24/7)and decrease the percentage or leave the percentage the same (100%) and use the pump timer and cut back on run time. I need to lower the pH as well.

Thoughts???
Thanks
Clint

You need to adjust pH NOW. 8 is too high.

Definitely cut back on the SWG percentage; you'll burn it out quick running it full blast. And with some CYA in the water, you lose less to sunlight, so you don't need to generate as much. Your FC jump is expected.

Pump run time will take some experimenting. It's more art than science - trial and error - unless you have a flowmeter. pool-school/pump_run_time explains it, and saves me some typing. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Took some quick measurements this morning before work (pool temp has dropped 15 degree's since Friday), I did not get a chance to measure CYA I will do that this afternoon after work:

FC - 13
CC - 0
TA - 160
pH - 7.8

I added more acid to reduce the pH - why is my FC getting higher? Yesterday morning (6am or so), I turned my SWG down to 70%, with the readings this morning I turned it down to 50% - would the 5lbs of stabilizer and the cooler temps be a contributor? Having a CYA of 0 - the pool calculator said to add 7.8lbs, so I started with 5, if my CYA is still low tonight should I add more or wait until my FC level drops? I am not sure how much longer the cooler weather will last.

Thanks
Clint

I wouldn't test CYA right now. Use the calculator to determine what the 5 pounds did and go with that value. Test in about a week to verify it.

The reason you added the CYA is so your SWG won't have to work so hard to chlorinate, as you see... it works pretty good. Saves the life of your cell too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.