DRAINING POOL WITH TROPICAL STORM

Xenon

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA
So I had a SWG failure last week and had to do an emergency shock and unswamp. My pool water level was low and I added roughly 6 inches of water.

Turns out now the pool is back to blue and slowly clearing up (thanks TFP) but good-ole TS Lee is putting the hurt on my water level. I'm close to overflowing and I'm sure it will before the weekend is over (maybe tonight). What is the best method for draining the pool. Do I just open the top valve on the filter housing?

Is there anything I need to do to the pool with the storm dumping rain? My new salt cell is in the mail (thought I would get it today) and I've been maintaining the FC level around 4-7 until then (and until it's fully clear again).

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Does your cartridge filter have a lower drain port? You could turn the pump off, open the air valve on the cartridge filter and then open that lower filter port. You could then turn the pump back on and let it drain that way. Of course, that would only work if the water can flow away from your equipment.

When Hurricane Irene blew through here last weekend, I turned the pump to "waste" then turned it off from the circuit breaker in the house. I ran the hose from the pump across the yard to a ditch in the back. Once the rains started I monitored the level with a pair of binoculars. My main concern was perhaps loosing power but Thank God we never did! I had to flip the switch on the circuit board 5x! This way you don't have to run out in the storm.

OperatorX, I can relate to your signature quote, "...and one frog that thinks the pool is his." Every other day I find a frog swimming happily in my pool. After the hurricane came through I found a dead snake in my skimmer.

With a cartridge filter, couldn't you just open the filter up, remove the cartridge and (with the filter still open) run the pump? Water would just spill out of the open filter and (at least in my case) onto the grass surrounding my pad (which is raised 12 inches or so). Or is that "bad"?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.