Do you run your pump non-stop?

Sep 3, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Just wondering if others keep their pump on 24/7 ? I leave mine on all the time unless obviously needing to clean the filters. Electrical usage has not been a problem so it's just been easier to let it run. Are there pros and cons of doing this? No real issues with my pool chemical balance, so this is just question I've been wondering about.

I only do it if I have a gut feeling that a newly added chemical hasn't had time to thoroughly mix in or if I, god forbid, have to shock the pool.

As far as down side to doing this? Besides electricity usage (which you already addressed), I can just think of the life of the pump might drastically be reduced.

I run about 14-18 hours a day, since I have poor circulation. Two non-adjustable returns (but one gets almost all the pressure), a skimmer with no weir (and no place to put one) and a main drain that doesn't pull at all since it's plumbed into the skimmer and there's no way to adjust which it pulls from. So I have to run longer than most.

I run a two speed, and I run low 23 hrs, high(for the Polaris) 1 hour. That being said, my electric bill has gone down from my previous 1 speed 12hr day pump. It's better for the pool, I think-steady state chemistry, so to speak.

I have a large pump for my size pool so I run mine from 7-7 each day. It also comes on from 2am-3am to circulate for a while. I bought a timer from Amazon and have been very pleased with it. Electric bill went down and my water is still clear.

We run ours 24/7/365 to make DH happy. He was a shark in a previous life.

I am glad that we run the pump 24/7 when the cover is off 7 to 8 months out of the year because leaves and dead pine needles are constantly falling into the pool from April to October. With the skimmers working all the time, virtually no leaves fall to the bottom, so we rarely have to vacuum.

Lana

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I run from about 7-midnight then 5-9 or 10 am.

I don't run it during peak hours as we get daily warnings at work when it's over 100 outside to turn things off we are not using because the electrical grid is so taxed already.

One electric co lost a generator and they talked about starting rolling brownouts

I have a two-speed motor, so it runs on high-cycle from 2pm to 6pm, and low-cycle the rest of the time. My electric bills are lower now than they were in our old house that didn't have a pool, so I see no reason to change it.

Last year, I ran my pump 10 hours a day in 5 hour increments. I was vacuuming twice a week.

This year, although I planned to do the same thing with the pump, I never got around to setting the timer, so it has been running non-stop since April. Now, (with the exception of pollen season,) I vacuum about every other week. I also added a Skim-It this year which has made a big difference in getting stuff off the surface before it sinks.

I don't know how much is attributable to the pump and how much to the Skim-It, but it's a lot easier to keep it clean this way. (Of course, the electric bills are higher. :) )

(The pump is slowly dying, and I wish it would just finally quit so I can go buy a two-speed.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.