New Pool project in Frisco, TX

shcuck

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 15, 2011
Frisco, Tx
Hi All I am new to this forum, and I have really enjoyed reviewing all the projects out there, and hearing of everyone's good and bad experiences through the build process.

We just signed the contract a few weeks ago and are just waiting for the City Permits to be approved.

I would like to get some thoughts on your experiences with the following:

How long did it take from the time you signed the contract to the day the dig began? In my case we just signed the loan docs with the bank/builder mid last week and the permits went to the city about 2.5 weeks ago. Should I keep bugging my sales rep or what is a normal turn around time for the dig to begin? Don't want to be pest with the PB before the build even starts.. :)

Once the dig began, who was your main point of contact for questions, comments and concerns? The designer/Sales rep, or the Scheduler or Super?

Those of you who opted for the PB to do the sprinkler reroute, how did that process go? I am concerned about how they will do it? Do they just start the pool dig and destroy any pipes that are underneath and THEN go back and re install new sprinkler lines?

In my case they will access the back yard from one side of the house (pathway is about 8' wide), since the back yard faces a greenbelt, they can not access through there. Those of you that had similar access points to their build, how much damage did your side and front yard take due to the machinery coming and going? (pics would be great if any of you have them)

Sorry for all the questions, but just as exciting as this process has been and am sure will continue to be so, I am bit nervous of what to expect.

I have included a few pictures of the design, and in my signature I have included the specifics.

Attachments

• Pool Final Render.jpg
    Pool Final Render.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,100
  • Pool Top View.jpg
    Pool Top View.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 1,101
  • Pool Dimensions.jpg
    Pool Dimensions.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,100
They will completely destroy your side yard with the equipment. Put it in your contract to have that put back right or it's on you.

When I applied for my permits I walked out with them same day.

Each pool builder establishes a different chain of communication, that's a question for them. It certainly would not hurt to meet the supervisor for your job and get on speaking terms with him, if he is wiling.

brg88tx said:
since you don't have a waterfall, i'd extend the deck to go completely around the pool.
we actually wanted to do the least amount of deck possible to give it a natural look around, but since we had to use up the 350' min deck we extended it round the bottom side of the pool, and only left the left side open with grass. We will do some landscaping on that side to also give us some privacy from the neighbor :-D

shcuck said:
brg88tx said:
since you don't have a waterfall, i'd extend the deck to go completely around the pool.
we actually wanted to do the least amount of deck possible to give it a natural look around, but since we had to use up the 350' min deck we extended it round the bottom side of the pool, and only left the left side open with grass. We will do some landscaping on that side to also give us some privacy from the neighbor :-D
it looks great, i have a new pool too and you might want to consider the color led lights. they are cool. btw, i used to live in frisco back in 99-00. back then there was hardly nothing there. i heard it grew super fast. i lived in a brand new apartment complex on stonebrook pkwy.

I just got to Frisco in 2005 and in the past 6 years things have changed dramatically so cant imagine what it was like 5 years prior to that hehehe..

Regarding the Color changing light, we considered it, but the $600 price tag was a bit steep being we are kind of on a budget.

I think this looks great. Really like your design. Only one thing stands out. My neighbor has a pool and I asked him if he could do one thing over again while building it...what would it be. He didn't hesitate and told me he'd add more decking around the back of the pool. He went with just 3' around the back.....and wishes he had at least 5' due to the fact that when he mows his grass (and weed-whacks) a large amount ends up in his pool. He doesn't have that problem on the ends (where he has 5' of decking) as the grass ends up on the deck and not the pool...and is easily swept or blown off using a blower. That's something I hadn't thought about......but am glad he brought it to my attention. I'm now planning 5' around the back....and like you...will use most of my decking on the front.

In Fort Worth, it took about 2 weeks for our PB to get the permits after we signed and was a few days after that for the dig to start. They had to get the permits, do the spray design, inspector comes out to check it, then they are clear for dig.

We went with a smaller PB who has 3 employees. All our questions go right to him and he's on top of them quickly.

I had similar questions about the sprinkler also... They dug straight through the pipes and everything. He did turn off the irrigation main before doing so though :) But they will route new once everything is built out.

Hope that helps and can't wait to see more pics!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Monkeyale,
Just spoke with the PB on fri and said the city has not released the permits to the runner yet, but hope we are close. I guess I am just very anxious to get started 

As soon as all the fun starts, I will keep you guys posted with pics and am planning on doing a time-lapse vid of the dig.

shcuck - I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. (I'm in Frisco as well and will be looking into building a pool later this fall/early winter).

- Can you tell me what companies you got quotes from?
- Provide any pro's/con's of each that you talked with?
- How close were the bids from each other?
- Who did you decide to go with and why?
- How much were you able to negotiate once you determined what builder to use?
- Do you mind sharing the cost of your build?

Hi msujohn,
I poked around many of the local pool companies such as Hobert Pools (actually got one of those advertisements in the mail from them offering a $6K discount), Anthony & Sylvan, Gold Medal and a couple others. I made calls to these main 3 PBs and really only met with the first 2. Gold Medal pools called me like 5 days after I asked for a quote, but never called back to schedule an appointment (I am sure they were very busy, but they surely lost me at Hello :) ), So I never bothered with them again as if this is the attention i get for them to try to make a sale, not sure I wanted to find out what the service was once I was deep into it.

I got a design and proposal from both Hobert and A&S, but decided to go with Hobert as they were very accommodating to our schedule, needs and when we met he was able to show us a design and make changes on the spot. Also what I liked about Hobert was that at NO POINT did our meetings sound like a sales pitch. It was really down to earth and really focus on what we wanted, NOT what they wanted to push on us. I really got the feeling there were not surprises once we signed the contract (well that is what I hope :) ).

Also from a bid perspective, we were really firm on what we can afford, so the challenge was on them to see who can provide the best solution with a set amount of $.

We decided going with Hobert as they gave the biggest bang for our buck (for a similar bid, Hobert did the reroute of the sprinklers, removal and re install of fence, and other things like that). With A&S I would have had to do my own sprinklers, remove the fence for access and even do the decking myself.

So was really a no brainer, also it was one of those were you just clicked better with one vs the other.

From a negotiation perspective both builders provided good discounts and incentives. Take a look online and via mail. Some have very good deals and discounts.

But if you are looking for a builder I would surely give Hobert a call. Have been very pleased thus far (granted have not started construction yet :))

Will keep you all posted on how the process goes as we start the dig tomorrow.

Hey Frisco neighbor!! We completed our pool in March and have been loving it. With the heat this year it has been a real help in getting the kids outside for alittle bit. We had our permits in about a week but that was in January so alot less busy then. It took longer for our HOA. Take lots of pictures!! I have pictures from everyday and it is fun to look back at how far we have come. We did not do decking all around the pool but ended up doing a flagstone walkway all around to keep that natural look. It was alot of work but worth it to keep the dogs on a path instead of in the landscaping. Are you planning on using BBB? It is amazing how often Wal Mart (the new one) runs out of bleach and I figure it is just all of us stocking up.Good luck and I look forward to watching your build.

Hey Partypond, really looking forward to getting started. This waiting game is very annoying :)

But will be sure to take pics. I have already setup a time lapse camera so will be fun to watch the dig in fast motion.

Regarding BBB, to be honest I have NO clue. I don't know enough about pool care to know one way or the other. I gave seen the posts about BBB but not sure i follow as I have not had to deal with water balancing before. But I take it you are an expert now at it, so what are the pro's and con's with BBB in laymen's terms.

And so the build starts today. The excavation crew is here and starting to take down the fence... and I am biting my tongue as they tear up my front yard...grrrrr but I guess this is all part of the process....

OK starting with the pics. Will keep posting as I take them.

[attachment=2:3idg6h3u]rsz_1rsz_before.jpg[/attachment:3idg6h3u]

[attachment=1:3idg6h3u]rsz_1rsz_after.jpg[/attachment:3idg6h3u]

[attachment=0:3idg6h3u]rsz_2backyard.jpg[/attachment:3idg6h3u]

Attachments

• rsz_1rsz_before.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_before.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 749
  • rsz_1rsz_after.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_after.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 747
  • rsz_2backyard.jpg
    rsz_2backyard.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 745

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.