North Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
New Pool Owner, just trying to make sure I am on the right track.

I've owned the house and pool for about a month now, and have tinkered with the chemistry a little, just enough to keep it limping along until I could devote serious attention too it. Pool looks Ok, but not great. No green and water is pretty clear. I might have the start of some black algae. Now that I finally have the time, I decided to start with a shock and OCLT.

So, current chemistry today before the shock:
pH 8.0
CYA: 90 ppm
Cl-: 0-1
TA: 210
CH: 190

ran my numbers through Pool Calc and got the result of needing to add 1481 oz of Bleach
and 116 oz of Muriatic Acid

Added 1456 oz of bleach and 1 gal of Acid at approx 5:30 P.M.

When got home at 9:00, tested the water and got the following results:

pH: 7.8 - 8.0
Cl-: 33
TA: 190

in the morning I will retest and add Bleach back to Cl-: 35

I know I should replace some water inventory to bring CYA down, but with the current drought conditions in N. Texas, I'd rather not waste the water right now. I'm hoping that when we get some rain, it will help flush the pool some.

Thanks for taking the time to read and help.
P.S. using the TF-100 FAS/DPD test kit

crusemm said:
When got home at 9:00, tested the water and got the following results:

pH: 7.8 - 8.0
Cl-: 33
TA: 190
Your ph is probably lower than this, but dont worry about it now. Anytime the FC level (it looks like you are measuring TC total chlorine which is FC + CC)is above 10 ppm, the ph test usually reads high. Speaking of FC, can you start testing FC and CC. Don't worry about TC for now, the others are more important. For nomenclature see: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_water_chemistry
crusemm said:
I know I should replace some water inventory to bring CYA down, but with the current drought conditions in N. Texas, I'd rather not waste the water right now. I'm hoping that when we get some rain, it will help flush the pool some.
Yeah, your CYA is high. Are you planning to close the pool for winter at some point?

Let us know the OCLT results tomorrow!

linen said:
(it looks like you are measuring TC total chlorine which is FC + CC)is above 10 ppm, the ph test usually reads high. Speaking of FC, can you start testing FC and CC. Don't worry about TC for now, the others are more important.
Testing is for TC, but I always get 0 for CC, so Cl- level is FC=33, CC=0
linen said:
Are you planning to close the pool for winter at some point?

Let us know the OCLT results tomorrow!
Not planning on closing the pool, I don't think. I will probably run it all winter and let the heater take care of it.

crusemm said:
Not planning on closing the pool, I don't think. I will probably run it all winter and let the heater take care of it.
Okay then I would lower as soon as pratical, though if everything is working (pass oclt, pool stays clear) then you could wait until water is more available/cheaper. At some point it should be lowered.

Cl-: results this morning are FC=31.5 CC=0. So nothing too bad in the system, just got to keep the Cl- level up for another day or so.

Added two jugs bleach to bring FC to 36, hopefully tonight will be last night for OCLT, because I am just about out of chemicals. Have more on order but it will be at least a week until they get here. Will have to keep my fingers crossed nothing goes too out of wack before I can get more.

what "chemicals" are you using?? I'm not sure I would let my pool sit a week without at least adding daily doses of chlorine into the system. How many FC's do you drop per day??

Leebo said:
what "chemicals" are you using?? ...How many FC's do you drop per day??

Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD test kit. The chlorine Titrator is almost gone that came with the kit. I was doing 1-2 a day, and since I have been doing the OCLT, at least three high level ones a day.

Leebo said:
I'm not sure I would let my pool sit a week without at least adding daily doses of chlorine into the system.

will try to get hold of another FC tester or the basic walmart kit tommorrow.; if not I was going to just add a couple cups of bleach a day to keep the FC high until the reagents come in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.