Proper Salt setting & CYA application

jreedich

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Ok I have a Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator / T-Cell-15. The manual says the salt level should be between 2700 and 3400. The question is with a spread of 700 is the optimum 3050? If so the pool school recommends "200 to 400 above recommended". So If the optimum is 3050 should I bring my pool up to 3250? :?:

Question 2: I have read various ways to apply CYA into a pool. Is there a consensus here to the best and proper way to apply CYA into the pool? :?:

I think you would push to the high side of the salt level since splash out and backwashing will lead to adding fill water that will dilute the salt level in the pool. If you get enough rain to overflow the pool salt level will go down. Most of the things you expect to add to this pool do not add salt, per the Pool Calculator.

For CYA, we prefer to add the measured amount to a sock or knee-hi stocking and tie it so that it hangs in front of a return and the sock is buffeted by the flow. You won't lose it to backwashing the filter that way and you will know for sure when it is all dissolved. Don't bother to test for CYA until at least a week after the addition, just assume it is there about 24 hours or after it is dissolved.

The sock method is by far the most convenient and verifiable method. When the CYA in the sock is gone, you know it's in the pool and not just sitting in the filter undissolved.

Squish the sock frequently. Hourly or sooner. Keep squishing it till it's gone from the sock. If you have HTH brand CYA, it's very soluble and you should be able to get it all squished out and dissolved in just a few hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.