Pool test computer programs

The problem with pool computer programs (even commercial ones like LaMotte's Datamate which is one of the best, IMHO--Don't get me started on the Bioguard ALEX program which is FAMOUS for overdosing, but it does sell a lot of chemicals for bioguard dealers!) is that they are stupid. They cannot make allownaces for such things as the type of chlorine used affecting where the TA should be and some of them don't even make allowances for the surface of the pool (reactive or non reactive). If you really think a piece of software can make decisions better than a well informed person on proper dosing then go ahead and use one. I have not come across one that can even warn you NOT to increaste TA and CH at the same time when both are low but to increase the TA first and then bring th CH up once the TA is in line and pH has been stabilized!

The only real use I see for them is a glorified calculator to fiure out dosing but even on this they fail since they have a pre set idea of what the proper PPM of a chemical should be and it is often not correct for the pool in question.

JasonLions pool calculator or the Beachcalc program by mwsmith are much better options and both are free!

waterbear said:
The problem with pool computer programs (even commercial ones like LaMotte's Datamate which is one of the best, IMHO--Don't get me started on the Bioguard ALEX program which is FAMOUS for overdosing, but it does sell a lot of chemicals for bioguard dealers!) is that they are stupid. They cannot make allownaces for such things as the type of chlorine used affecting where the TA should be and some of them don't even make allowances for the surface of the pool (reactive or non reactive). If you really think a piece of software can make decisions better than a well informed person on proper dosing then go ahead and use one. I have not come across one that can even warn you NOT to increaste TA and CH at the same time when both are low but to increase the TA first and then bring th CH up once the TA is in line and pH has been stabilized!

The only real use I see for them is a glorified calculator to fiure out dosing but even on this they fail since they have a pre set idea of what the proper PPM of a chemical should be and it is often not correct for the pool in question.

JasonLions pool calculator or the Beachcalc program by mwsmith are much better options and both are free!

holy crud, before i got my kit i went to a pool store that used ALEX. now i know why when i used the Tf kit my clorine qas 11. my alkilinity was 650, my calsium was 486, my stabilizer was 97 :x

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.