How things are out in Texas

It's very sickening to see these pictures knowing the masses of not only pepole but wildlife that can't survive due to lack of water. Here in Okla we've been burning the last three days and more fires keep starting up! We can only hope the supposed cold front this weekend brings us much needed rain to the south!!

Weather man is calling for highs here to be in the 70's on Monday. I'm laughing my butt off at that forecast until it actually happens! Lol still blazing hot today, although it is cloudy. Guess it could be worse w/ no clouds...

I work for AgCountry Farm Credit Services as a Loan Officer up here in ND and thank God we dont have drought. We are actually WAY TOO WET up here. Funny how mother nature is kicking our butts this year. Our crops look good where the hail didnt take it out. Lets hope you all down south get some of our moisture and it settles down up here as well. Here in Jamestown, our resevoir and Pipestem Dam is flooding and our river through our town is bulging. They say we will have very high river flows all the way to January in order to evacuate enough water from the resevoir/dams that makes us ready for the 2012 spring thaw!

Crazy weather!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Irene came just close enough to dust the car windshield.... then the huge wall of black scattered. So sad. So many leaves in the pool from stressed trees the water was dull for 2 days.

Yesterday there was a huge fire just down the road from me. I'll guess 5 miles but it could have been way bigger and just farther away. Lots of fire engines heading that way. The fire fighters are spread so thin. The wind was blowing away from us.

Smoke smell in the air this morning but the sky is brilliant blue and amazing cool temps. Still dry though. I've switched the pool to Fall run times to try to capture daytime heat now.

I wonder what The Woodlands will look like next year with so many of the trees dying.

I've sent the following brochure out to most of my local email list http://texasforestservice.tamu.edu/.../The Ready, Set, Go! Wildfire Action Plan.pdf

I got a bit spooked after taking a drive this evening. Dropped in on mom a few miles away and she comments, "I guess you'd take the convertible if you had to evacuate." Uh, hadn't really been thinking about that. Drove west and saw this big cloud, wow, maybe we might have some rain, eh? Consulted that fire map just posted and, no, that is the fire to the west of us. That's not fog around the street lights, that's smoke. Little fires to the south of us contained now. Bigger fire to the west of us, not so much.

Got to thinking about how fast things could have gone up if that strong wind had been blowing the other way a few days ago. Not sure where that fire was, but dead pines go up pretty fast. Jump a highway? Sure, with that wind.

What WOULD I take? How long is a fire proof safe good for? I read that the most important thing to take is photos, to prove the condition of the house when you left. Important papers, small valuables, food and meds. Pick up flammables from the outside, patio furniture, welcome mat, check the roof for pine needles. How much time might one have? Gee, I thought this only happened in California. OK, yes, I am overdoing it right now. Not an emergency, but I do like to be prepared.

Reading that brochure above, clear the ground of dry leaves and pine needles. Uh, in The Woodlands? That is called mulch. It covers the greenbelts all over here and most of the yards as well.

We really, really need rain. Not with lightning though, just rain.

BTW, that WunderMap is not all that current. The Tamina Road fire that I saw yesterday is listed there as not verified and it is already out and residents who evacuated are returning. Still better than the TX Forest Service map http://ticc.tamu.edu/Response/FireActivity/ that does not even show it at all.

Well it looks like SE Texas is about to get another round of near 100 degree days with no rain. I really liked the weather in Texas up until this year. At this rate of rainfall we will not break ten inches at my house this year compared to a normal 50 inches. To look at all of the dead trees and vegetation is down right depressing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.