installing pool pilot

Feb 8, 2008
The wiring diagram shows running the 220volt wiring to the pool pilot and then to the pump. Is this because the pool pilot only pulls a small amount of juice and does not need a separate breaker? Most 220volt applications I have seen has a dedicated breaker.

I am installing outside, out of direct sunlight except for an hour or so a day. I am concerned about the display screen fading over time, any suggestions?

Welcome to TFP!

The Pool Pilot only draws 1.5 amps peak, while the pump is drawing anywhere from 6 to 30 amps (depending on what pump you have). So there is no need for a separate circuit breaker. Also, the Pool Pilot is designed to only run when the pump is running, so it needs to know if the pump has power or not. Some models are also able to turn the pump on and off.

I haven't had any problems with my display, though I have only had my unit for 1 year. I haven't heard of anyone else having problems with their display fading.

Thanks, Should I place an on/off switch between the swg and pump? Up until now I have used the breaker if I needed to turn the pump off. I am guessing that killing the power to the swg will cause the settings to clear, is that the case?

The Pool Pilot units remember their setting across power fails.

It is best to put the switch so it turns off the Pool Pilot and the pump at the same time.

If the Pool Pilot is controlling the pump then you only need the switch as a master cut off, as you can use the Pool Pilot controls to turn the pump off. If the Pool Pilot isn't controlling the pump then you never want it on when the pump is off. Either way the switch should turn everything off at the same time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.